View Single Post
Old 12-22-2002, 05:29 PM   #31
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Quote:
Originally posted by greenblazepheno
this is all very interesting but also taken very much out of context. i see your points, and how some things can be interpreted in a similar fashion; however, i think this is the case of us human beings finally embracing the idea of coincidence.

to tell you the truth (and i have to be perfectly honest here- it's just my opinion), i think you can find many of the "similarities" in most Hollywood products. it's a matter of storytelling and narration- from the beginning, to the end, with the necessary roleplayers and personal conflicts, etc. this is reflected in aenima and it's reflected in fight club.

it's also reflected in harry potter, born on the fourth of july, star wars and the white album. it's just art.

further, let's be frank: some of the quotes are striking, others are just plain ridiculous. i think this is a matter of searching too deep, making blanket assumptions, and stretching the thread too thin.

finally, in terms of jungian thought, you can find that everywhere. if you look hard enough, it'll be sitting there, staring blindly.

i just don't find any of this evidence to be much more than circumstantial. and what bothers me is that if it is taking to yet another level, most fans will no longer be able to follow and it will comfortably find itself as part of rock n roll lore in the future. people will believe it like they do all sorts of other conspiracies and ideas.

it will become an inaccurate historical document that cannot be changed and will forever be purported (and have the ability) to start arguments, create loyalty, and fuck over how future artists remember our time. it will become dangerous and stir even more confusion.
======

in other words, i just don't see it. if you DO, then explain it to me again, and in another way, with more objective evidence.

peace
I think soul made it very clear in his original post that he is sure it wasnt what the band intended, that it was just what he thinks about as while he listens to Aenima. There is nothing wrong with that. If you look at the letter by maynard TDN put up as you go into the opinions page, it says most interpretations he reads are wrong.

Im sure Fight Club wanst based on Aenima. Any great work of art has dozens of ways you can interpret it. The room for interpretaion is what makes it great art. To me often times art is images or sounds that stirs up thoughts in you, and inspires you to find a personal meaning in it. If you dont see it, there is nothing wrong with that. Half the fun of a forum like is to is talk about what feelings these lyrics stir up in you. This is not a science, so the call for "objective evidence" as you put it, isnt needed. We are proving nothing here, there is no right answer. You dont like his interpretaion? Make your own, I will read both and give you props for thinking and creativity.