View Single Post
Old 01-15-2003, 06:58 PM   #36
Lord Cronos of Vermiculum

Bincount™: 6507
Quote:
Originally posted by soul_excursion

But I have one question and I don't know if it's to you or MJK himself: what's exactly so wrong with separating the body from the mind? MJK also said: "this body holding me reminds me of my own mortality, embrace this moment and remember that we are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" which tells me that there is a true separation of the body and the true reality.

it has the postive message of 'living your life to the fullest while you are here and accepting the pain of this earth as a gift'.. there was a quote I read somewhere where MJK was asked about drugs and he said, you shouldn't use them all the time, you should use them once and then spend the next ten years trying to get to that same place without them. that I feel is the lesson of lateralus. live life while you are here instead of trying to escape. maybe I'm answering my own quesiton...
I think you did answer your own question. Over-thinking, Over-analyzing, separates the body from the mind would be like saying looking at the world around you, and the people around you, and life itself, death, science theory, looking back on history, all of this. Just taking it all into perspective for yourself. It's ok to just get deep, and over-think and over-analyze these things. Saying that this is a path to enlightenment. A major theme of Lateralus is lateral thinking. When you seperate the body from the mind, you have become enlightened, and maybe have freed yourself? Opened yourself to a new way of being.

Also, the reason I think that every Tool fan seems to love Fight Club is like I said before, but in different words, the fact that the artists have a similar strain of thought of the world around them. You have subconsciously subjected yourself to both the material of each, and each has similiar understandings and beliefs on the society as a whole. You like one, so you will obviously like the other. Since you as an individual are stimiluted by that kind of thought provoking material such as Ænima and Fight Club you have apparently come to accepting them both.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote