View Single Post
Old 01-10-2003, 10:44 PM   #32
Lord Cronos of Vermiculum

Bincount™: 6507
Quote:
Originally posted by greenblazepheno
this is all very interesting but also taken very much out of context. i see your points, and how some things can be interpreted in a similar fashion; however, i think this is the case of us human beings finally embracing the idea of coincidence.

to tell you the truth (and i have to be perfectly honest here- it's just my opinion), i think you can find many of the "similarities" in most Hollywood products. it's a matter of storytelling and narration- from the beginning, to the end, with the necessary roleplayers and personal conflicts, etc. this is reflected in aenima and it's reflected in fight club.

it's also reflected in harry potter, born on the fourth of july, star wars and the white album. it's just art.

further, let's be frank: some of the quotes are striking, others are just plain ridiculous. i think this is a matter of searching too deep, making blanket assumptions, and stretching the thread too thin.

finally, in terms of jungian thought, you can find that everywhere. if you look hard enough, it'll be sitting there, staring blindly.

i just don't find any of this evidence to be much more than circumstantial. and what bothers me is that if it is taking to yet another level, most fans will no longer be able to follow and it will comfortably find itself as part of rock n roll lore in the future. people will believe it like they do all sorts of other conspiracies and ideas.

What I was going to say you pretty much summed up.

I know what the starter of this threads intentions were, but to the positive feedback thinking this may have been intended I'd like to say no.

It's natural for one to take two of his favorite things and compare the two finding similarities. I could take Lateralus and a favorite movie of mine, even re use Fight Club and if I dig deep enough like many of you did, make quotes seem related.

If you believe in something enough, you will believe there's something to it. I think that many of those quotes were forced. I mean I too could add to the list of many things that you could compare in the movie. It's just that the author and Maynard alike both display displeasure with society in their art. The whole material possessions ending up owning you has been thrown around for a long time, this isn't new.

These artists likely had similar influences. With similar views. So therefore it's shown in their work. Great thinkers think alike, and borrow from the greats before them.

For example you can take the whole Jack scene breaking down and crying in Bob's bitch tits, use a quote from that, and compare it to the whole quote from H "Under these tears now, the walls came down, as the snake is drowned, as I look in his eyes, my fear begins to fade, recalling all of the times, I could have cried then, I should have cried then." The fact that he could have cried then, but he didn't however maybe he should have and not pent it up. Well there you go, I don't really think that this was a planned effort at all.

It's interesting, and cool to see how these ideas can be so similar. But you'll find with things like this, you can often times find similarities like that if you really try hard enough. These things both deal with raw emotion, and the psyche.

Also I believe many of you are masturbating yourselves in a circle with the whole Jung analysis on this, with the collective "conscious". I don't really think you guys know enough information to be throwing that out there. I believe it is the collective unconscious. The collective unconscious thoughts of hidden desires, sexual impulses, urges, wants, needs, passions...

I'm not saying anybody's wrong, but there's really no way to truly say with definate proof that maybe Maynard and Chuck bounced ideas off each other, or their unconscious or conscious thoughts relayed off each other. Except ask Maynard, and hope it gets answered in a FAQ somewhere. About some connection to this author.

Jungs theories are very interesting, and even his theories are very similar to those of other psychologists. But he has a certain uniqueness, that got his ideas recognized, and caught the attention of artists like Maynard. Jungs whole thing on crossdressing and the fact that Maynard cross dresses on stage may be no coincidence.

I like this thread though, and like how deeply you analyzed this. Remember, Overthinking, Over-analyzing separates the body from the mind.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote