Schism
Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned
Sober
- - - - - -
Wings 1+2
Lateralus
Vicarious
Aenema

not only was this my first Tool concert, it was also my first larger concert overall.

Mastodon entered the stage at 8:15 pm. I did not know them before and as expected it was just not my kind of music. overall sound quality was good, bass was ultra-heavy, I moved back a few steps and put ear protection in. they played a solid setlist of maybe ten songs. I enjoyed the final three songs more then the rest as those where a bit more complex.

the venue - the Leipzig Arena - was far too large. it usually houses big sport events as well as big concerts. it takes up to 12.000 people. Monday evening one quarter of the main hall was reserved for the stage, so we are talking about a total capacity of 9-10.000 people here. I was kind of sad to see that while Mastodon was playing maybe only 30% of that capacity was used. I was constantly looking around if the place was filling up when Tool came close.

Tool entered the stage at 9:15 pm with the place maybe 45-50% filled. Adam just said "Hi" and things kicked off. Having red about Maynard getting upset with venues only half filled I expected the worst. the upside of such a large venue of course is, that there is a lot of space to move and dance, and that you can get quite close to the stage without getting squished. the overall atmosphere was friendly and peaceful. no stupid clapping either. Tool left at 11:10 pm after approx. 1 h 50 min. bass was heavy, but the voice was clear and loud, so no complain here.

as expected Tool blew my expectations away ;) what makes Tool so so huge is the perfect combination of crystal-clear video, superb audio and beyond-everything overall visuals. if not for maybe two unrecognizable mistakes or delayed notes you couldn't tell this was all live. I don't want to know how much work went into this to achieve this level of ultra quality.

the biggest downside of the evening was for sure the audience. in the beginning only 30% of the crowd was moving *at all*. I couldn't believe it. how in gods name can people stand with their hands in their pockets with a song like Jambi? I tried to figure what kind of guys those people where and I came to the conclusion that is the usual (maybe typically german) "oh-I-am-so-damn-cool-I-won't-dance-type". but it was interesting to see that for the final three songs of the list maybe 70% of the crowd where more or less moving - so you can say Tool finally got them. that's the most positive about it I guess.

there where some visuals I did not know yet: the red spider on black background during 46&2, the UFOs and pyramids during Rosetta Stoned and the shapes of human beings forming a spiral during Lateralus.

did I say lasers? the effect of those green, 60 meters long lines cutting the hall is jaw-dropping. its so simple, yet powerful that I wonder why Tool seems to be the only band using those. the lightning was perfect and the UFO-like effect of the rising and lowering of the spotlights was so so beautiful. plus those white sound-scientists running around, too funny.

Maynard was all gas mask this evening, people were smoking, but only a few. Maynard did not do much dancing, often looking on the screens. he skipped the screaming in Vicarious and in Stinkfist. before Aenema he said the usual "See you again .. somewhere .. spiral out". now I am somewhat concerned because he did not say they would be back next summer ;)
after Sober he thanked "Phil from Motorhead" for his solo: http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/2802/toollpz1aj4.jpg
I can't remember if it was before Aenema or Vicarious where he came up with the quote from The Big Lebowski: "that creep can roll man, that creep can roll".

- Jambi ... rocked sooo hard, this song was really written for live performances.
- 46&2 ... I was happy this one was in the Setlist and visuals where great.
- Rosetta Stoned ... just like on the album this song somewhat slowed it down. just like Shism it is impossible to dance and you can see some people where lost here. anyway, the UFO and pyramid visuals reminded me of an "X Files" episode I had just seen, where Agent Spender blames Mulder for letting a suspect of murder go for the secret of the pyramids.
- Wings ... this song is pure art and a welcome contrast to the usual headbangers. before Wings the four said down shortly, Maynard then said "Are you ready? Ok then, let's do it". the pause before Wings was only a few seconds, I expected Justin to put up his lighter, but he didn't.
- Lateralus ... loved the bassy first notes, great song.
- Vicarious ... loved the intro music, great one.

I would be happy if they had played The Pot, and even more if they trade Rosetta Stoned for Intension/Right In Two. Not to speak of Eulogy, Part Of Me and D/R/T. But who am I to complain ;) after Aenema the four stood together hugging each other and Maynard said "Oh my" in a whiny-voiced way. was really cute to see that.

personell highlights were 46&2, Jambi, Wings and Vicarious.

I wish they would do something to get the crowd in. some greeting words in german would have done it. after the show I learned that Leipzig must have been multiple times better then Berlin in June in terms of audience, visuals and sound. they said Maynard seemed in a better mood too.

pics from mobile phone:
Wings http://img104.imageshack.us/img104/1248/toollpz3xm7.jpg
Vicarious http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/3874/toollpz4rj6.jpg and http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/1075/toollpz6vu3.jpg

So I now have some more thing to do in life: visit as many Tool shows as possible!

Last edited by tiloprobst; 12-06-2006 at 01:07 PM..
OFFLINE |