View Single Post
A Tad Bit Catatonic's Avatar A Tad Bit Catatonic
08-05-2009, 05:55 PM

Sixth show for me, since the Lateralus tour. Was bittersweet for several reasons. I took a newer friend, and he ended up not enjoying it, unfortunately - his whining sort of dragged me down. Also had some nosebleeder tix, primarily due to the fact that Blair announced the sale date of this show one day late on the website. I really do like Blair, and have emailed with him on a few occasions - always pleasant, but damnit man, Blair, you let me down this time... have always enjoyed reading his stuff, however ridiculous, but for a guy who probably gets payed a six or possibly seven figure salary to simply post whatever he wants on a website, and has achieved obscure fame due to it, please at least get the concert sale dates right. I'm sure some of you were aware of this issue and are with me on this.

Anyway, I give it about a 7 out of 10. All this bullshit about Maynard and the setlist, is exactly that. It's an exacted and powerful thing they do, and have been doing for 20 years now... to have been able to sustain it for that long, and share it with us has been an inspiring thing. You know a large part of it's subjective anyway - where you're sitting, your state of mind, every venue is different in every way, what you may have ingested heh, etc., etc. If I have accomplished half what they have and have half that energy in my late 40s I'll be content. And personally, I'd rather Maynard doesn't sing the last bit of Vicarious, and so on, so he can save what he does have left in him for the next album.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BramBonesBadass View Post
So does nobody remember that "electronic" sounding vamp before vicarious started? They all went into a strange musical movement during which DC was laying down some crazy techno-ish sounding stuff. Its sounded like it was planned out, and not just improvised. I've listened to boots from the SA and NC show, but they both lack this section that was performed in Fairfax, VA.

I wonder if anyone got a recording of the show, seeing how the goose stepping security had everything on lock down.

I also recall most of the songs being played at full speed...especially rosetta.... - although lateralus seemed slowed down.
And yes, there were some new things I observed. At least the first part of Pink Floyd's "On the Run" was played leading into Lost Keys. It's nothing special, and almost seems like a sarcastic offering to all those complaining about the setlist and lack of new material - But interesting none the less, in conjunction with Blair's "Ode to Gwinnett" poem. I have a few theories on it. Maybe they will eventually end up leading into and covering Time/Breathe, or since "Dogs" are mentioned in like every line of that poem, who knows. Also the "electronic sounding vamp" before Vicarious was definitely there - big time!, and if I go with my gut it was most definitely the seeds of something new. They always do those electronica interludes at every concert I've ever seen live and most post Aenema bootlegs, but this time it was different: Adam played a new little chord progression (nothing special, but still new to me), and Danny got into it with the pads - didn't see what Justin was doing. Then after quite a while of that Adam was on his knees playing his stomp boxes with his hands (for like a minute)... some pretty damn cool sounds, I thought. I got pretty excited thinking they were gonna play something new... then got the visuals and first notes of Vicarious. But yeah man it was there, it was definitely there. So I pray for the rest of you guys that by the end of the tour, maybe you'll get a cover of Time or even Dogs.

Oh yeah, since I don't post here much anymore - don't be surprised if 46&2 ends up on the Iron Man II soundtrack. Tom Morello is actually in the first one if you didn't know that (he plays a terrorist =), and for everyone who thinks they have never done a soundtrack - well Sweat is on "Escape From LA".

Peace out my new "roomates" heh...
Old 08-05-2009, 05:55 PM   #56
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 61
Re: 07.30.09 - Fairfax, VA @ Patriot Center

Sixth show for me, since the Lateralus tour. Was bittersweet for several reasons. I took a newer friend, and he ended up not enjoying it, unfortunately - his whining sort of dragged me down. Also had some nosebleeder tix, primarily due to the fact that Blair announced the sale date of this show one day late on the website. I really do like Blair, and have emailed with him on a few occasions - always pleasant, but damnit man, Blair, you let me down this time... have always enjoyed reading his stuff, however ridiculous, but for a guy who probably gets payed a six or possibly seven figure salary to simply post whatever he wants on a website, and has achieved obscure fame due to it, please at least get the concert sale dates right. I'm sure some of you were aware of this issue and are with me on this.

Anyway, I give it about a 7 out of 10. All this bullshit about Maynard and the setlist, is exactly that. It's an exacted and powerful thing they do, and have been doing for 20 years now... to have been able to sustain it for that long, and share it with us has been an inspiring thing. You know a large part of it's subjective anyway - where you're sitting, your state of mind, every venue is different in every way, what you may have ingested heh, etc., etc. If I have accomplished half what they have and have half that energy in my late 40s I'll be content. And personally, I'd rather Maynard doesn't sing the last bit of Vicarious, and so on, so he can save what he does have left in him for the next album.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BramBonesBadass View Post
So does nobody remember that "electronic" sounding vamp before vicarious started? They all went into a strange musical movement during which DC was laying down some crazy techno-ish sounding stuff. Its sounded like it was planned out, and not just improvised. I've listened to boots from the SA and NC show, but they both lack this section that was performed in Fairfax, VA.

I wonder if anyone got a recording of the show, seeing how the goose stepping security had everything on lock down.

I also recall most of the songs being played at full speed...especially rosetta.... - although lateralus seemed slowed down.
And yes, there were some new things I observed. At least the first part of Pink Floyd's "On the Run" was played leading into Lost Keys. It's nothing special, and almost seems like a sarcastic offering to all those complaining about the setlist and lack of new material - But interesting none the less, in conjunction with Blair's "Ode to Gwinnett" poem. I have a few theories on it. Maybe they will eventually end up leading into and covering Time/Breathe, or since "Dogs" are mentioned in like every line of that poem, who knows. Also the "electronic sounding vamp" before Vicarious was definitely there - big time!, and if I go with my gut it was most definitely the seeds of something new. They always do those electronica interludes at every concert I've ever seen live and most post Aenema bootlegs, but this time it was different: Adam played a new little chord progression (nothing special, but still new to me), and Danny got into it with the pads - didn't see what Justin was doing. Then after quite a while of that Adam was on his knees playing his stomp boxes with his hands (for like a minute)... some pretty damn cool sounds, I thought. I got pretty excited thinking they were gonna play something new... then got the visuals and first notes of Vicarious. But yeah man it was there, it was definitely there. So I pray for the rest of you guys that by the end of the tour, maybe you'll get a cover of Time or even Dogs.

Oh yeah, since I don't post here much anymore - don't be surprised if 46&2 ends up on the Iron Man II soundtrack. Tom Morello is actually in the first one if you didn't know that (he plays a terrorist =), and for everyone who thinks they have never done a soundtrack - well Sweat is on "Escape From LA".

Peace out my new "roomates" heh...