View Single Post
Old 08-29-2006, 12:45 PM   #38
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/08/27 - George, WA - Gorge Amphitheatre

Well I went to the Vancouver, and the Gorge show.

I have to say That they were both pretty amazing experiences. In Vancouver, I was front row centre, and so I opted for general admission at the Gorge to get a better overview.

I almost couldn't imagine not having seen it from both views. You miss alot of the visuals from front row, but you get a great view of the band, and see alot of detail.

Overall it added up to an amazing experinece. The gorge was beautiful (this is my first concert at the gorge), and the sound is amazing there. Outdoor events are always strange, becuase you can't really tell how loud the fans are screaming if you're behind them all -- in a stadium it echos (kills your ears), but you really get the full effect from everywhere. No ringing ears from the gorge. +1 point.

Maynard ran off stage for a bit, over a rooftop no-less (looked like he almost bailed half way accross) -- i'm not sure what that was about. All I know is that intermission was not a part of the Vancouver show.

Also, during the vancouver show, he did not run around hiding behind the drum sets during rosetta stoned. That was a little strange. Just beofre that someone had tossed a hat onto the stage, which Maynard tossed back into the audience. I'm wondering if he wasn't ducking / hiding, or pretending to hide from (real or imaginary) shit being thrown onto the stage.

Maybe we'll never know.

I hate the stupid asshole on the roof of the sound pit -- he nearly took one of the security guards over the side with him after they finally got him down. I was scared shitless that someone who didn't deserve it was going to fall and break themselves. Stupid jerk.

Seeing Opiate live itself was worth the drive. Although, Right in Two was amazing live... it's a toss up -- I would rather he just play both :P Then again, I can't think of a tool song that I would NOT like to hear live.

People are complaining about the traffic, and yes it did suck -- but honestly I think they did a really good job of parking everyone. I can't imagine having to organize a bunch of assho... I mean people like me into a field in an orderly fashion. We exited the highway at about 7, and were parked by 7:45. Not TOO bad considering the number of people who were showing up at that time.

p.s. To the person driving the red Malibu. F*&% You. You know who you are and why. lol.

At the end... well we were out in 25 minutes so I really can't complain about the traffic at the end. I was caught in worse traffic for almost the same amount of time in downtown Vancouver at the GM Place concert last week.

Unfortunately, some of the laser / lighting effects lost their thunder in the outdoor venue. At the stadium, (some of) the same laser show that was on the floor of the stage was copied onto the roof of the stadium.

Also, during Vicarious there was a really killer laser effect in vancouver which from the front row made the band look like they were inside a cage. I'm not sure if that was lost due to my angle at the gorge, or to the venue -- did anyone with floor seats see this effect?

Overall a great experinece. Well worth the 5 hour drive from Vancouver. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

DT
OFFLINE |