View Single Post
imacrook
12-21-2007, 10:34 PM

This was my first Tool concert. We sat just above the floor, directly in front of the stage. The show wasn't as awesome as I was expecting but was still a great experience. Everyone on the floor was in chairs, so no mosh pit. The best I could tell it was a sold out show. The crowd was really into it and were on their feet for the entire two hours of Tool.

Trans Am was pretty much a waste of time. They're a three piece instrumental group that combines 80s metal and electronica. It essentially sounded like a jam session with no real song structure or dynamics. The only redeeming thing about their performance was the drummer who managed to make it somewhat interesting.

We were then treated to a surprise performance by two members of King Crimson. They had one fewer member than Trans am but managed to play them out of the water. They played along pre-recorded bass and sound effects tracks. One tune had us thinking of the SNL “more cowbell” skit. Overall it was pretty entertaining and the audience seemed to appreciate their work.

JAMBI
A great opening that really got the audience pumped.

STINKFIST
Possibly the best audience reaction of the night. It was kinda fun with everyone singing along with Maynard. The visuals were a re-cut of the music video which seemed kinda distracting. The extended part in the middle was really great to hear, I hope I can someday find a good recording of it.

46&2
Like many have stated, I too am a bit tired of this song but the opening guitar and bass was great. Probably the second best audience reaction.

SCHISM
Like most of Stimkfist, this was like watching the music video with a live band playing in the corner.

ROSETTA STONED
the distorted vocals were interesting at first but soon got annoying. The drumming was excellent but I was begging for the song to end.

FLOOD
The beginning of the song was pure unadulterated power. Simply awesome! Most of the audience seemed to know the song, so I knew I was among die hards.

WINGS/10000 DAYS
Before 'Wings' began we were treated to an amazing light and laser show. Lots of “ooohs” and “ahhhs” although I was left wondering what it was all about. Wings pt. 1 was a waste of time. I was rather bored. 10,000 Days on the other hand was Tool at it's most powerful and dramatic. The cloud effect on the stage was neat. The performance was a little overpowered by the lasers. I came to see Tool, not Laser Floyd at the planetarium.

LATERALUS
A great rocking performance. Half way through they invited out the King Crimson Guys. The guitarist did a neat solo and the drummers had their duel. The drum-off wasn't as neat as I was expecting from the reviews of previous concerts with the Trans Am drummer. At the end Maynard thanked them and said they stole everything they know from King Crimson and that we should pull our heads out of our asses and get some of that.

VICARIOUS
A good ending but I would have liked one of the more epic songs like Third Eye or 10,000 days. At the end they all embraced and threw stuff into the audience. It was nice to see them have some fun.

Highlights:
The audience was on fire the entire show
The extended part of Stinkfist
The beginning of 46&2
The beginning of Flood
Maynard's strange posing

Lowlights:
I would have liked to hear at least one of my favorite songs: Sober, The Grudge, Hooker with a Penis, The Pot.
At times I felt like we were just watching a music video. The special effects distracted from the performance. I would have liked to see the band more especially Maynard.
Many of the songs had long synthesized beginnings that were completely pointless.
Wings pt. 1
Rosetta Stoned
I wish I could have been closer to the stage.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:34 PM   #23
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: Dec 05 Portland, OR Memorial Coliseum

This was my first Tool concert. We sat just above the floor, directly in front of the stage. The show wasn't as awesome as I was expecting but was still a great experience. Everyone on the floor was in chairs, so no mosh pit. The best I could tell it was a sold out show. The crowd was really into it and were on their feet for the entire two hours of Tool.

Trans Am was pretty much a waste of time. They're a three piece instrumental group that combines 80s metal and electronica. It essentially sounded like a jam session with no real song structure or dynamics. The only redeeming thing about their performance was the drummer who managed to make it somewhat interesting.

We were then treated to a surprise performance by two members of King Crimson. They had one fewer member than Trans am but managed to play them out of the water. They played along pre-recorded bass and sound effects tracks. One tune had us thinking of the SNL “more cowbell” skit. Overall it was pretty entertaining and the audience seemed to appreciate their work.

JAMBI
A great opening that really got the audience pumped.

STINKFIST
Possibly the best audience reaction of the night. It was kinda fun with everyone singing along with Maynard. The visuals were a re-cut of the music video which seemed kinda distracting. The extended part in the middle was really great to hear, I hope I can someday find a good recording of it.

46&2
Like many have stated, I too am a bit tired of this song but the opening guitar and bass was great. Probably the second best audience reaction.

SCHISM
Like most of Stimkfist, this was like watching the music video with a live band playing in the corner.

ROSETTA STONED
the distorted vocals were interesting at first but soon got annoying. The drumming was excellent but I was begging for the song to end.

FLOOD
The beginning of the song was pure unadulterated power. Simply awesome! Most of the audience seemed to know the song, so I knew I was among die hards.

WINGS/10000 DAYS
Before 'Wings' began we were treated to an amazing light and laser show. Lots of “ooohs” and “ahhhs” although I was left wondering what it was all about. Wings pt. 1 was a waste of time. I was rather bored. 10,000 Days on the other hand was Tool at it's most powerful and dramatic. The cloud effect on the stage was neat. The performance was a little overpowered by the lasers. I came to see Tool, not Laser Floyd at the planetarium.

LATERALUS
A great rocking performance. Half way through they invited out the King Crimson Guys. The guitarist did a neat solo and the drummers had their duel. The drum-off wasn't as neat as I was expecting from the reviews of previous concerts with the Trans Am drummer. At the end Maynard thanked them and said they stole everything they know from King Crimson and that we should pull our heads out of our asses and get some of that.

VICARIOUS
A good ending but I would have liked one of the more epic songs like Third Eye or 10,000 days. At the end they all embraced and threw stuff into the audience. It was nice to see them have some fun.

Highlights:
The audience was on fire the entire show
The extended part of Stinkfist
The beginning of 46&2
The beginning of Flood
Maynard's strange posing

Lowlights:
I would have liked to hear at least one of my favorite songs: Sober, The Grudge, Hooker with a Penis, The Pot.
At times I felt like we were just watching a music video. The special effects distracted from the performance. I would have liked to see the band more especially Maynard.
Many of the songs had long synthesized beginnings that were completely pointless.
Wings pt. 1
Rosetta Stoned
I wish I could have been closer to the stage.
OFFLINE |