View Single Post
Old 09-08-2006, 08:32 AM   #37
Super Goof or Smitty Werbenjaegermanjensen? You decide

Bincount™: 1563
Re: 2006/09/07 - Los Angeles, CA - Staples Center

The show was about two hours long and it was the greatest fucking show of my life. I've seen tool 3 times previously and this was easily the best show they have put on to date (well for me anyway). I was stunned. I like 10,000 Days but its not my favorite album of theirs, so I was a little apprehensive going into the show, not really knowing how I felt about everything, but the opening version of Stinkfist was amazing and it set the tone for me the entire night (god they need to release a live DVD with their live interpretations of the songs, such as this one!) I was hardly able to contain my excitement. In fact I don’t think I was able to. I have been to a show where they basically played all my favorite songs (except Eulogy wasn’t played) and that was my favorite up to this point and that show was my second time seeing them, but last night, my forth time seeing Tool, was truly brilliant. During the Wings duo I was actually starting to get teary eyed and when Maynard walked off stage my heart sank, I truly felt for him at that moment in time, I'm sure we have all lost someone near and dear to us in our lives so we can all relate on some level, but right then I shed a real tear for Maynard and it shocked me too. I'm at a rock concert how did I end up crying? Well the band played it perfectly and Maynard came back to finish it, it truly was a special moment in my life time. And for the first time for me, last night, this band seemed like real people, human. Usually being shrouded in darkness, yeah that’s their thing, and it’s cool and great and they have that cold distance and mystery about them, but last night they were mortal, up front flesh and blood and seeing Maynard leave and actually show it, it was touching. Maybe the white stage had something to do with it and that you could clearly see every member, but what ever it was the show felt close and intimate despite its arena setting. Afterward Adam went to console Maynard a bit and they launched into Lateralus which pleased me to no end, but you could still see Maynard was still a bit emotional about the whole thing, and then after that, the band just kind of sat on the little drum rise while Maynard laid down on stage and took a breather for a few minutes. Man I don’t even know what to say about that show that would accurately depict what was going on and how I was feeling. It felt like last night I had a personal connection with the band beyond the music, we are all a big group of friends who know and love each other, we were all one consciousness, the band, the fans, occupying a single space in time and place.
All I can say is holy shit, I wonder how tonight will be...

Oh! I forgot to mention the visuals! They ruled! I recall that Rosetta Stoned and Wings for Marie easily had the best visuals. Like, they were absolutely perfect I couldn’t imagine anything better! Really the visuals were truly stunning, the white stage that had the visuals projected on to it in way where shadows weren’t cast by the band members, how exactly did they do that? But no matter how amazing the visuals really were their importance was simply dwarfed by the sheer impact of the bands performance. Really, I can’t believe the experience I had last night it was truly magical.

I’ll add some more here about the other songs played; Jambi ruled, I was extremely excited to hear it, Right in Two was amazing, The Pot which is a song I almost don’t care for seriously rocked live and after hearing it, it hit me...this whole album to me is way better live, Lateralus is a perfect cd and live it translated well, but the songs for 10kD were meant for a live show and boy did they not disappoint in fact it actually enhanced my opinion of the album. Lets see... Stinkfist I already mentioned as being superb, Rosetta Stoned was great, timing was a bit off but it engrossed me even more that way as I said earlier the visuals were awesome for this song, Lateralus was played with such intense power and emotion following Wings for Marie that it felt like that was the song to ascend to heaven to. Vicarious was damn good and Ænema was a great way to close it out. The faster part in the bridge of Schism was a nice little treat (not as good as the extended bridge for Stinkfist though, the clarity and the solo Adam wrote for it was amazing.) 46 and 2 was extremely powerful. It almost felt like the band was playing as if they had something to prove and not just playing songs for a bunch of people, every note they hit just seemed to be teeming with emotion and feeling it truly was an excellent show.

Damnit I keep having to add stuff..I thought Isis did an amazing job opening, but of course the impact of Tool's performance last night was not to be matched...not by a long shot. Whatever songs they played pretty much kicked ass. I am a mild fan of theirs (I actually met Adam at one of their shows at the Knitting Factory) I only have Panopticon so I only knew one of the songs played, so I'm hoping the rest of that stuff was new because if so I'm going to be one happy camper when it comes out.
"Am I a pretty girl?"

Last edited by EulogyCallinMe; 09-08-2006 at 10:56 AM..
OFFLINE |