View Single Post
Staples
11-25-2007, 11:38 AM

Ok, here's my review

It was a good concert, BUT...
I've been to three concerts now and every time it's been the exact same thing. The sound levels are AWFUL! I think TOOL needs to hire some new sound engineers. I've been an avid Tool fan since the Undertow album came out and to this day, they're my favorite, just about the only thing I listen to. And when a fan as big as I am leaves the concert DISAPPOINTED because he couldn't even hear Maynard sing, something has to be done! This time around I took my neighbor and my wife, both of which aren't big Tool fans, but went along just because they thought it would be fun. Afterwards, they told me that they didn't like it just because the sound levels were so bad. It was just noise. People familiar with tools songs, like me, didn't have such a hard time with it. For example, twice now I've heard the extended version of Schism and Stinkfist, and still don't really know what it sounds like. When they play it, its just so loud that I cant pick out the guitar riffs between the noise from the drums and the bass. The first two concerts I went to, it was bad, but bearable, but this one was just disappointing. I was way excited to hear Wings for Marie and 10,000 days, but when it came around to it, I couldn't even hear him sing, the only way I could follow along with the song is because I know how the drums go, so I'd pick out the different symbol patterns he was playing, I would recognize what part of the song it was, and I found myself singing the lyrics in my head because I couldn't hear him....

Anyway, enough complaining about the sound levels. Near the end of the concert, it actually got better and we could hear him sing. They actually got the sound levels perfectly on Vicarious, but unfortunately it was the last song of the night.

I liked the fact that Trans Am only played for like 25 minutes, it was great! Back on the Lateralus tour when Mashugga opened for them, I swear they were on the stage for over an hour which was awful.

The set list was the exact same as all the others. Flood was awesome! Loved the visuals. As always, TOOL puts on a great laser show. I remember reading another poster from a different concert mention that they heard the drum part to the beginning of Third Eye, I did too! I heard it and I thought, nah, it's too good to be true... and it was...

Some jackass got really drunk and started beating a girl and screaming at her during 10,000 days, so she went and got the police and he ran, so that kind of distracted from the performance. I think they need to limit alcohol purchases cause EVERY one I've been to so far gets interupted or disturbed at some point during the show by someone who's drunk off their ass and creating a scene. I personally didn't pay $50 to just go get drunk and act like a jack ass and not even watch the concert cause I'm raising hell with every person that walks by. Jerk offs

Maynardisms (and these are not even going to be close to exact quotes)
He started by saying "Hey SLC, whats new?"
Followed by stuff I couldn't understand cause it was too loud
"This is the part of the show where you grab your buttocks, sit down, and enjoy the ride"
Before lateralus: "Now you can release your buttocks, and grab your neighbor. But don't rape them. Rape isn't funny. Unless it's Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd, then it's.... kinky."
Then he ended by saying "Peace Out"
He said some other funny stuff, but I can't remember anymore...

The drum off between Danny and the Trans Am drummer was classic, I loved it.

And thats about it.

Last edited by Staples; 11-25-2007 at 11:40 AM..
Old 11-25-2007, 11:38 AM   #4
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: Nov 24 Salt Lake City, UT E Center

Ok, here's my review

It was a good concert, BUT...
I've been to three concerts now and every time it's been the exact same thing. The sound levels are AWFUL! I think TOOL needs to hire some new sound engineers. I've been an avid Tool fan since the Undertow album came out and to this day, they're my favorite, just about the only thing I listen to. And when a fan as big as I am leaves the concert DISAPPOINTED because he couldn't even hear Maynard sing, something has to be done! This time around I took my neighbor and my wife, both of which aren't big Tool fans, but went along just because they thought it would be fun. Afterwards, they told me that they didn't like it just because the sound levels were so bad. It was just noise. People familiar with tools songs, like me, didn't have such a hard time with it. For example, twice now I've heard the extended version of Schism and Stinkfist, and still don't really know what it sounds like. When they play it, its just so loud that I cant pick out the guitar riffs between the noise from the drums and the bass. The first two concerts I went to, it was bad, but bearable, but this one was just disappointing. I was way excited to hear Wings for Marie and 10,000 days, but when it came around to it, I couldn't even hear him sing, the only way I could follow along with the song is because I know how the drums go, so I'd pick out the different symbol patterns he was playing, I would recognize what part of the song it was, and I found myself singing the lyrics in my head because I couldn't hear him....

Anyway, enough complaining about the sound levels. Near the end of the concert, it actually got better and we could hear him sing. They actually got the sound levels perfectly on Vicarious, but unfortunately it was the last song of the night.

I liked the fact that Trans Am only played for like 25 minutes, it was great! Back on the Lateralus tour when Mashugga opened for them, I swear they were on the stage for over an hour which was awful.

The set list was the exact same as all the others. Flood was awesome! Loved the visuals. As always, TOOL puts on a great laser show. I remember reading another poster from a different concert mention that they heard the drum part to the beginning of Third Eye, I did too! I heard it and I thought, nah, it's too good to be true... and it was...

Some jackass got really drunk and started beating a girl and screaming at her during 10,000 days, so she went and got the police and he ran, so that kind of distracted from the performance. I think they need to limit alcohol purchases cause EVERY one I've been to so far gets interupted or disturbed at some point during the show by someone who's drunk off their ass and creating a scene. I personally didn't pay $50 to just go get drunk and act like a jack ass and not even watch the concert cause I'm raising hell with every person that walks by. Jerk offs

Maynardisms (and these are not even going to be close to exact quotes)
He started by saying "Hey SLC, whats new?"
Followed by stuff I couldn't understand cause it was too loud
"This is the part of the show where you grab your buttocks, sit down, and enjoy the ride"
Before lateralus: "Now you can release your buttocks, and grab your neighbor. But don't rape them. Rape isn't funny. Unless it's Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd, then it's.... kinky."
Then he ended by saying "Peace Out"
He said some other funny stuff, but I can't remember anymore...

The drum off between Danny and the Trans Am drummer was classic, I loved it.

And thats about it.

Last edited by Staples; 11-25-2007 at 11:40 AM..
OFFLINE |