View Single Post
JAWhite
05-09-2006, 09:32 AM

I was looking around their website while listening to this song (one of my favorites) and I ended reading about Aleister Crowley, the founder of Thelema (religious philosophy). The news updates on the site said that alot of the books in Danny Carey's CD photo were Crowley's. So, I researched Thelema on Wikipedia and saw this "true will" part:

"According to Crowley, the discovery and manifestation of one's unique True Will is the central task of every Thelemite. True Will is an idea that could be described in its dynamic aspect as the singular path of possible action that encounters no resistance in going because it is supported by the inertia of the whole Universe; theoretically, no two True Wills can contradict each other because each one has its own absolutely unique career in its passage through Infinite Space. Hence, to follow one's True Will means to respect all True Wills, described as "Love is the law, love under will". The apparent pacifism of this doctrine is complicated, however, by the possibility that the majority of beings do not know their True Will."

It seems to fit with the song. Maybe society's "wills" have become distorted or maybe its all inevitable to be the way it is. I havent figured out what all the references to this mean, or how the art work is supposed to complement the album (website talks about the puzzle). btw, that CD case is f*cking awesome.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:32 AM   #1
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Aleister Crowley and Thelema: "True Will"

I was looking around their website while listening to this song (one of my favorites) and I ended reading about Aleister Crowley, the founder of Thelema (religious philosophy). The news updates on the site said that alot of the books in Danny Carey's CD photo were Crowley's. So, I researched Thelema on Wikipedia and saw this "true will" part:

"According to Crowley, the discovery and manifestation of one's unique True Will is the central task of every Thelemite. True Will is an idea that could be described in its dynamic aspect as the singular path of possible action that encounters no resistance in going because it is supported by the inertia of the whole Universe; theoretically, no two True Wills can contradict each other because each one has its own absolutely unique career in its passage through Infinite Space. Hence, to follow one's True Will means to respect all True Wills, described as "Love is the law, love under will". The apparent pacifism of this doctrine is complicated, however, by the possibility that the majority of beings do not know their True Will."

It seems to fit with the song. Maybe society's "wills" have become distorted or maybe its all inevitable to be the way it is. I havent figured out what all the references to this mean, or how the art work is supposed to complement the album (website talks about the puzzle). btw, that CD case is f*cking awesome.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote