View Single Post
omnitronic's Avatar omnitronic
12-05-2007, 07:51 AM

I have seen Tool many, many times. The first was in '92-93 opening for Henry Rollins. I saw them several times on the Aenima tour in the US and Canada (blue Maynard, Rev. Maynard), and I saw them many times on the Lateralus tour in the US and New Zealand (where they had the duo from the Schism video accompany them on stage during the song, walk around on their hands and swing from ropes). The highlight of that tour was seeing them two nights with King Crimson in a small theater in Seattle and having front row seats (I had 2nd row but the guys in front of me were tripping balls and had to leave before the show started; thanks guys). All and all, I have always loved Tool live and have always been receptive to the evolving stage shows (although I still think the Aenima tour was the most powerful and amazing).

That said, I was one of the lucky few who managed to get a ticket to the small theater Tool played the night 10,000 Days was released. I had not seen them play in close to 5 years and was stoked. But at the end of the night I left disappointed. The visuals were too digital and clean, the setlist was a play by numbers set of hits, and Maynard seemed less intense and his vocals soft. Additionally I was not wild about the new material. That was the last time I have seen them...until last night.

I have to say that the show was much more impressive than the one a year and a half ago. Because they are an arena band now, they have really put together an excellent stage show for that scale. The set list was much improved (the full version of Flood! 46&2 and the best rendition of Lateralus I have ever heard) and I have warmed to some to some of the new material. Jambi and Rosetta Stoned are fantastic live songs. My disappointment rests with Wings and !0,000 Days. I don't find them to be very engaging live songs at all. And after hearing Lateralus, Vicarious seemed like a weak closer. The Lateralus tour had the recipe for a show closer down: Disposition-Reflection-Triad-Lateralus. That was a fucking crazy ride. The Wings-10,000 Days-Lateralus-Vicarious block just does not have the same cohesion or dramatic build. Oh well. I was still happy with the show and glad to see that Tool is moving comfortably into this new stage of their career. This is not the same band I saw in the 90's and in some ways I feel pangs of disappointment, but in others I think they have evolved with style. I will defiantly try to see them again if they come back through the Pacific NW.

By the way, Maynard dedicated Flood to Paul D'Amour and mentioned something about him living in West Seattle (which is true).

My favorite overheard quote of the night in a line for beer: "Dude, in a few minutes we are going to have the most amazing experiences of our lives, and then afterwards we are going to get tons of pussy."

And one more thing. Fuck you I-5. Fuck you in the ass.

Last edited by omnitronic; 12-05-2007 at 08:03 AM..
Old 12-05-2007, 07:51 AM   #6
Level 11 - Clamorous

Bincount™: 362
Re: Dec 04Everett, WA Everett Events Center

I have seen Tool many, many times. The first was in '92-93 opening for Henry Rollins. I saw them several times on the Aenima tour in the US and Canada (blue Maynard, Rev. Maynard), and I saw them many times on the Lateralus tour in the US and New Zealand (where they had the duo from the Schism video accompany them on stage during the song, walk around on their hands and swing from ropes). The highlight of that tour was seeing them two nights with King Crimson in a small theater in Seattle and having front row seats (I had 2nd row but the guys in front of me were tripping balls and had to leave before the show started; thanks guys). All and all, I have always loved Tool live and have always been receptive to the evolving stage shows (although I still think the Aenima tour was the most powerful and amazing).

That said, I was one of the lucky few who managed to get a ticket to the small theater Tool played the night 10,000 Days was released. I had not seen them play in close to 5 years and was stoked. But at the end of the night I left disappointed. The visuals were too digital and clean, the setlist was a play by numbers set of hits, and Maynard seemed less intense and his vocals soft. Additionally I was not wild about the new material. That was the last time I have seen them...until last night.

I have to say that the show was much more impressive than the one a year and a half ago. Because they are an arena band now, they have really put together an excellent stage show for that scale. The set list was much improved (the full version of Flood! 46&2 and the best rendition of Lateralus I have ever heard) and I have warmed to some to some of the new material. Jambi and Rosetta Stoned are fantastic live songs. My disappointment rests with Wings and !0,000 Days. I don't find them to be very engaging live songs at all. And after hearing Lateralus, Vicarious seemed like a weak closer. The Lateralus tour had the recipe for a show closer down: Disposition-Reflection-Triad-Lateralus. That was a fucking crazy ride. The Wings-10,000 Days-Lateralus-Vicarious block just does not have the same cohesion or dramatic build. Oh well. I was still happy with the show and glad to see that Tool is moving comfortably into this new stage of their career. This is not the same band I saw in the 90's and in some ways I feel pangs of disappointment, but in others I think they have evolved with style. I will defiantly try to see them again if they come back through the Pacific NW.

By the way, Maynard dedicated Flood to Paul D'Amour and mentioned something about him living in West Seattle (which is true).

My favorite overheard quote of the night in a line for beer: "Dude, in a few minutes we are going to have the most amazing experiences of our lives, and then afterwards we are going to get tons of pussy."

And one more thing. Fuck you I-5. Fuck you in the ass.

Last edited by omnitronic; 12-05-2007 at 08:03 AM..
OFFLINE |