View Single Post
Old 09-06-2007, 08:45 AM   #8
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: Anima/Animus Integration

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllvllledusa View Post
Anyways, I think adams perspective on the song is anima/animus integration.

I wont go through everything just yet, but in the end you see the mans inner self trying to get out and once it does its attacking the sleeping woman (anima), its trying to lift or wake her up (waking up the anima). Then the man and the woman (anima) come together as one. Its the balance of anima and animus.

In the beginning you see the scale off balance, but at the end of the song its balanced.
I kind of feel this is a good way to interpret all of the videos except Hush. Stinkfist especially really seems to explore this theme of the relationship vs. abuse of the male and female within the psyche. While the feminine presence isn't really as clear in videos such as Parabola, Ænema and the two Undertow videos, a sense of both "twin-ness" and androgeny is apparent, which is an easy reference to masculine/feminine presence in the Tarot.

Your point on balance at the end of the Schism video is interesting though, because to me the image of the male and female joined together into a single being speaks more of something more grotesque and forced. It's an ugly image, and to me it's a reference to the ugliness of a forced relationship between the male and female... something which is apparent when there is a communication breakdown between people. It's ugly in real life, and I think Keenan's point here might be that it's just as ugly and horrible when it happens within.