View Single Post
MrDurden
05-18-2006, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodRedLion727
It never ceases to amaze me how people so gifted in some areas can so mispercieve reality and the meaning of life.
I don't think Maynard has "converted" to religion. MJK pretty openly opposes organized religion (Trent too) presumably because many Christians (especially in the US) hold such absolutist, narrow-minded views. Views extremely similar to the kind of rhetoric in this post.

It amazes me that someone who "loves" Tool (I assume both their music and the things they have to say) would cease "supporting" them because he has a different perception of reality (note: I didn't say "wrong"). Isn't this much closer to the kind of mindset that leads to religious/ideological wars.

Just because you don't go to a church, temple, or mosque on the weekends doesn't mean you are free of homogenizing, elitist, and ultimately violent views. I am glad that you have found a perception of reality and the meaning of life that you find to be true, however that doesn't mean that anyone that doesn't share your view is an ignorant fool unworthy of your respect.

On the subject of the spiritual/religious overtones of 10,000 days, what is known about MJK alcohol (if not drug problem). APC's 13th Step pretty clearly seems to be written by someone who is familiar with addiction. Not to mention songs throughout Tool's history indicate a struggle with drugs or alcohol (Sober, H, etc.). A friend told me that between The Fragile and With Teeth, Trent quit drinking.

I am not saying that either have become Southern Baptist Republicans. But it might help to explain the spirituality that seems to permeate the lyrics of both artists.

I don't know, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it's a terrible tragedy.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:47 PM   #30
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: Has MJK pulled a Reznor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodRedLion727
It never ceases to amaze me how people so gifted in some areas can so mispercieve reality and the meaning of life.
I don't think Maynard has "converted" to religion. MJK pretty openly opposes organized religion (Trent too) presumably because many Christians (especially in the US) hold such absolutist, narrow-minded views. Views extremely similar to the kind of rhetoric in this post.

It amazes me that someone who "loves" Tool (I assume both their music and the things they have to say) would cease "supporting" them because he has a different perception of reality (note: I didn't say "wrong"). Isn't this much closer to the kind of mindset that leads to religious/ideological wars.

Just because you don't go to a church, temple, or mosque on the weekends doesn't mean you are free of homogenizing, elitist, and ultimately violent views. I am glad that you have found a perception of reality and the meaning of life that you find to be true, however that doesn't mean that anyone that doesn't share your view is an ignorant fool unworthy of your respect.

On the subject of the spiritual/religious overtones of 10,000 days, what is known about MJK alcohol (if not drug problem). APC's 13th Step pretty clearly seems to be written by someone who is familiar with addiction. Not to mention songs throughout Tool's history indicate a struggle with drugs or alcohol (Sober, H, etc.). A friend told me that between The Fragile and With Teeth, Trent quit drinking.

I am not saying that either have become Southern Baptist Republicans. But it might help to explain the spirituality that seems to permeate the lyrics of both artists.

I don't know, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it's a terrible tragedy.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote