View Single Post
EdwardJamesKeenan
05-18-2006, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iota
Whoa there, my friend. I hope you're not implyng that listening to Tool is a form of religion. They are very different activities and need to be distinguished one from the other to maintain sanity (in and out of this forum).

I basically see Tool's music as a form of entertainment. I'm not sure if I can affirm that I follow their "teachings", but I do try to get the best out their music and lyrics and somehow apply it to my life. And this process is barely conscious. When MJK says at the intro to this opinion section, "in a perfect world, bla bla bla, everyone would pick something up from our music and do something extraordinary", you can infer that he's asking for too much, and he makes this explicit by starting off saying "in a perfect world".

No, no. Religion is another matter entirely. It relies on faith, which is nice and interesting in some aspects. My affinity with Tool has nothing to do with faith. It's more to do with a deep rooted feeling I have and that grows and transforms every time I listen to their music. And this is even less conscious.

i see what you're saying. I will admit iwas kind of generaliseing, but you have to generalise to make a point. What is faith? Belief, soemthing to believe in to make us feel safe really.
I undersand what you're saying about the music, it is the same for me. But seperate the men frm the music andyou have what soem people consider to be spiritual, god-like figures, especially maynard. The comparisons are there, and although that doesnt apply to you i'm sure it applies to others. But basically i was not saying TOOL was a religion. My point was that everyone has rules that they live by, i have mine and you have yours, just some people choose to share the beliefs of others (organised religion).
Old 05-18-2006, 07:15 AM   #21
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 11
Re: Has MJK pulled a Reznor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iota
Whoa there, my friend. I hope you're not implyng that listening to Tool is a form of religion. They are very different activities and need to be distinguished one from the other to maintain sanity (in and out of this forum).

I basically see Tool's music as a form of entertainment. I'm not sure if I can affirm that I follow their "teachings", but I do try to get the best out their music and lyrics and somehow apply it to my life. And this process is barely conscious. When MJK says at the intro to this opinion section, "in a perfect world, bla bla bla, everyone would pick something up from our music and do something extraordinary", you can infer that he's asking for too much, and he makes this explicit by starting off saying "in a perfect world".

No, no. Religion is another matter entirely. It relies on faith, which is nice and interesting in some aspects. My affinity with Tool has nothing to do with faith. It's more to do with a deep rooted feeling I have and that grows and transforms every time I listen to their music. And this is even less conscious.

i see what you're saying. I will admit iwas kind of generaliseing, but you have to generalise to make a point. What is faith? Belief, soemthing to believe in to make us feel safe really.
I undersand what you're saying about the music, it is the same for me. But seperate the men frm the music andyou have what soem people consider to be spiritual, god-like figures, especially maynard. The comparisons are there, and although that doesnt apply to you i'm sure it applies to others. But basically i was not saying TOOL was a religion. My point was that everyone has rules that they live by, i have mine and you have yours, just some people choose to share the beliefs of others (organised religion).