View Single Post
calumny's Avatar calumny
05-15-2006, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00L3rdi
Well then maybe I' ll dignify the post by commenting on how much raw everything sounds. The last engineer David Bottrill has a "glassy" approach to his mixes where everything is saturated in reverb and chorus etc. Joe Barresi seems to be more about obscure sounds via miking techniques. The photos that were put up on the website while recording was taking place, showed a lot of room mics. Rather than artificially create that space with digital devices, he went the old school approach of getting the natural ambience of the room. I dig that kinda thing.

Specifically, the vocals are buried a bit, which does a variety of things. it makes you listen to it more intently, it makes the music seem larger, and potentially making the vocal more intimate. They seem more animated than previous albums as well. I mean where Bottrill would slap on a distortion, Barresi would try a variety of other things to accentuate the nuasances.

Things are more in your face than previous albums where Bottrill created some ambient environment as opposed to Barresi's band playing in front of you vibe.

Thats all I really grasped so far, sonically speaking.
These albums are an onslaught of what are they playing, what does it mean, and how does it sound. too much to concentrate on all at once.
Peas,
Abstract @tom
im glad someone got the intent behind this thread.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:14 AM   #11
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: PROFESSIONAL AUDIO ENGINEERS/PRODUCERS THREAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00L3rdi
Well then maybe I' ll dignify the post by commenting on how much raw everything sounds. The last engineer David Bottrill has a "glassy" approach to his mixes where everything is saturated in reverb and chorus etc. Joe Barresi seems to be more about obscure sounds via miking techniques. The photos that were put up on the website while recording was taking place, showed a lot of room mics. Rather than artificially create that space with digital devices, he went the old school approach of getting the natural ambience of the room. I dig that kinda thing.

Specifically, the vocals are buried a bit, which does a variety of things. it makes you listen to it more intently, it makes the music seem larger, and potentially making the vocal more intimate. They seem more animated than previous albums as well. I mean where Bottrill would slap on a distortion, Barresi would try a variety of other things to accentuate the nuasances.

Things are more in your face than previous albums where Bottrill created some ambient environment as opposed to Barresi's band playing in front of you vibe.

Thats all I really grasped so far, sonically speaking.
These albums are an onslaught of what are they playing, what does it mean, and how does it sound. too much to concentrate on all at once.
Peas,
Abstract @tom
im glad someone got the intent behind this thread.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote