View Single Post
Old 09-27-2006, 09:57 AM   #36
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/09/26 - Pittsburgh, PA - Petersen Events Center

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eussiah View Post
I don't think they were those kinds of lasers. I've seen those kind, that can burn through metal, at a science museum once, but these weren't it. I saw one pass through Justin a bunch of times, and he didn't get sliced in half.
Yeah, typically the wattage of "light show" lasers is not significant enough to cause any damage unless you look directly at them; There are all sorts of safeguards taken in the mirror heads to disable the laser if the mirrors stop being able to move the beam. (noting however that what you perceive as being in one place usually isnt.) In the US, the practice of "Audience Scanning," where lasers sweep over the audience, is illegal. In Europe it's not, which is why nightclub light shows tend to be much more interesting on the other side of the pond. The concern is that if, by some extremely rare chance, a mirror head were to stop working, you might be able to blind someone.

That said, the danger, at the wattages like we saw last night, would almost exclusively be to your eyes. I'm sure the riggers and light show designers have had ample time to speak with the performers and grips about not looking at the lasers. You'll also remember that the lasers that scanned Justin were coming from behind him, while he was standing facing forward. It's all very well planned, somewhat regulated and safe.
OFFLINE |