View Single Post
SetecX
07-08-2007, 03:53 PM

Ok so this was my 7th Tool show and 2nd in 3 days as I was at the DTE show too. This tour I think is much better than the one from last year. I was at the Palace last September and that show seemed flat compared to the Lateralus tour.

BUT, finally with the improved visuals this tour is amazing and I think compares to the Lateralus tour in terms of like overall feeling and vibe and sheer amazement.

Big Business is not really that great but their drummer is really amazing and he should move on to something else. To me, all of their songs sound basically the exact same, specifically the first one they played and the last one. Funniest part was when they came on and the singer talked in this really like sissy voice, it was hilarious to see this big burly guy talk like that.

I was sitting in the middle of the floor, row Q and the audio seemed very good. It didnt seem as loud as the DTE show but it sounded better than I thought it would. Maynard's vocals seemed very low during Jambi but after that they were louder and could be heard better.

I was hoping for the extended Stinkfist but Schism extended with that sped up part is awesome.

Right in Two was really cool, dont know what else to say about it.

Ahhh Lateralus, it really has become a staple of any Tool show. They used to end with it and I think it would be better if they went back to doing that instead of ending with Vicarious. It seems like taking a step backward because Lateralus with the drum solo/duo is mindblowing. This show they did the drum duo with the drummer from Big Business which was really neat and it went on what seemed like forever.

I think though I liked the DTE show solo better because it was so like fluid and continuous and it was just Danny's moment and he really shined. If that makes sense.

All in all it was a fantastic show and the crowd around me was very mellow and not acting like idiots creating problems. I did however see one guy getting dragged down the aisle by like 6 security guards because he was putting up a big fight. I later heard that he tried to get on stage.

I really hoped they would do something special for Grand Rapids because Maynard went to college there. By something special I mean play pushit.

After the show I saw the tour busses out back and thought that maybe it would be worth it to wait a bit for someone to come out. After like an hour Justin came out and talked to people and he was really cool. He signed my ticket. I told him I had been to 7 shows and never heard pushit. His response was "Didnt we play that like 3 weeks ago or something?" "I dont know why we dont play it more". Which kind of leads me to believe that maybe they arent like intentionally strict on what they play and they just show up and play basically.

A little bit later Danny came out and talked to everyone that was still waiting and signed stuff for whoever wanted something signed. He was not into having pictures taken of him but he was really nice. I told him he had a great solo at DTE and played 2 amazing shows and he thanked me for the comments and for coming out.

Adam came out and basically went into his bus and he did not seem interested in talking to people. Maynard was apparently already in his bus and assuming his was the one with all the knives on it, it left early. The roadies brought out a bunch of fireworks and blew them off at one point.

All in all, great show, great crowd, great times. Thanks for reading about my experience.
Old 07-08-2007, 03:53 PM   #7
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2007/07/05 - Grand Rapids, MI - Van Andel Arena

Ok so this was my 7th Tool show and 2nd in 3 days as I was at the DTE show too. This tour I think is much better than the one from last year. I was at the Palace last September and that show seemed flat compared to the Lateralus tour.

BUT, finally with the improved visuals this tour is amazing and I think compares to the Lateralus tour in terms of like overall feeling and vibe and sheer amazement.

Big Business is not really that great but their drummer is really amazing and he should move on to something else. To me, all of their songs sound basically the exact same, specifically the first one they played and the last one. Funniest part was when they came on and the singer talked in this really like sissy voice, it was hilarious to see this big burly guy talk like that.

I was sitting in the middle of the floor, row Q and the audio seemed very good. It didnt seem as loud as the DTE show but it sounded better than I thought it would. Maynard's vocals seemed very low during Jambi but after that they were louder and could be heard better.

I was hoping for the extended Stinkfist but Schism extended with that sped up part is awesome.

Right in Two was really cool, dont know what else to say about it.

Ahhh Lateralus, it really has become a staple of any Tool show. They used to end with it and I think it would be better if they went back to doing that instead of ending with Vicarious. It seems like taking a step backward because Lateralus with the drum solo/duo is mindblowing. This show they did the drum duo with the drummer from Big Business which was really neat and it went on what seemed like forever.

I think though I liked the DTE show solo better because it was so like fluid and continuous and it was just Danny's moment and he really shined. If that makes sense.

All in all it was a fantastic show and the crowd around me was very mellow and not acting like idiots creating problems. I did however see one guy getting dragged down the aisle by like 6 security guards because he was putting up a big fight. I later heard that he tried to get on stage.

I really hoped they would do something special for Grand Rapids because Maynard went to college there. By something special I mean play pushit.

After the show I saw the tour busses out back and thought that maybe it would be worth it to wait a bit for someone to come out. After like an hour Justin came out and talked to people and he was really cool. He signed my ticket. I told him I had been to 7 shows and never heard pushit. His response was "Didnt we play that like 3 weeks ago or something?" "I dont know why we dont play it more". Which kind of leads me to believe that maybe they arent like intentionally strict on what they play and they just show up and play basically.

A little bit later Danny came out and talked to everyone that was still waiting and signed stuff for whoever wanted something signed. He was not into having pictures taken of him but he was really nice. I told him he had a great solo at DTE and played 2 amazing shows and he thanked me for the comments and for coming out.

Adam came out and basically went into his bus and he did not seem interested in talking to people. Maynard was apparently already in his bus and assuming his was the one with all the knives on it, it left early. The roadies brought out a bunch of fireworks and blew them off at one point.

All in all, great show, great crowd, great times. Thanks for reading about my experience.
OFFLINE |