View Single Post
Aenima7988's Avatar Aenima7988
10-11-2007, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivek View Post
SM57s are instrument mics, not vocal mics, so I would assume the difference in frequency pickup would add some distortion...

nah dude, there's no distortion on SM57. They're just saying they put the really really good mic in front of him for clean vocals and ran the studio standard sm57 to a channel with distortion on it.

and mics that are usually used for vocals are tube condensors (I didn't make that up did I?) and large diaphragm condensors. Anthony Kefoeshffhdsis probably sings through an SM57 live, they're very durable and are good at representing sounds, so they're ideal for live performance. But they'r enot used in the studio because condensors have a much fatter sound - probably something to do with that mid peak thing someone was talking about in the SM57 frequency response

Last edited by Aenima7988; 10-11-2007 at 02:26 PM..
Old 10-11-2007, 02:22 PM   #17
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 15
Re: 10,000 Days Recording Techniques

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivek View Post
SM57s are instrument mics, not vocal mics, so I would assume the difference in frequency pickup would add some distortion...

nah dude, there's no distortion on SM57. They're just saying they put the really really good mic in front of him for clean vocals and ran the studio standard sm57 to a channel with distortion on it.

and mics that are usually used for vocals are tube condensors (I didn't make that up did I?) and large diaphragm condensors. Anthony Kefoeshffhdsis probably sings through an SM57 live, they're very durable and are good at representing sounds, so they're ideal for live performance. But they'r enot used in the studio because condensors have a much fatter sound - probably something to do with that mid peak thing someone was talking about in the SM57 frequency response

Last edited by Aenima7988; 10-11-2007 at 02:26 PM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote