View Single Post
Old 09-12-2006, 05:57 AM   #14
Banned.

Bincount™: 9070
Re: 2006/09/11 - The Woodlands, TX - Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavillion

Houston always gets the shit end of the stick. Last time they were in town it was at the Verizon Wireless Theater and the venue proudly proclaimed that the show would be over promptly at 10 pm, as a result, Reflection got cut from the set. This time it was illness.

I have mixed feelings about it. No, I didnt enjoy myself nearly as much as I could have, but I've been sick while performing before, and perhaps empathy has its place here. We can talk all day about whether or not they should have rescheduled, or just outright cancelled, or altered the setlist to reflect Maynard's inability to sing any high notes, but they didnt, so talking about it is pointless. He did give us the Rosetta Stoned scream though, I dont know how he did that.

I loved the stinkfist and schism interludes, I had heard the schism one before, but it's still nice to hear again. They did play a couple of things I hadnt heard before, trippy little interludes that could end up on future releases. The lights were cool as shit, the sound wasnt great, not nearly loud enough up on the lawn. I probably will never get lawn tickets again to a show there.

All things considered, it was ok. Singing happy birthday to the patriot act was pretty cool.

"I know this might be cheesy, but... I would like to have a moment of silence for the lives lost 5 years ago today..."

*puts mic down*

"Thank you. That was the serious part of the show. Now back to the unbridled, insensitive humor... Someone has a birthday today! That's right, the Patriot Act! Let's all sing happy birthday..."

*crowd sings happy birthday*

"See? Insensitive."

edit: During AEnima, Maynard repeated the same lines 3 times, instead of changing it up each time like on the album. The "Fuck retro anything, fuck your tattoos, fuck all you junkies and fuck your short memory." When someone said he did something similar at the last show, I thought it might have been an accident, but nah, they are really trying to drive home the memory/drugs thing.

Also, there are many, many subtle changes they make to their songs. Especially notable was the ending of Jambi, further convicting me of the point that Jambi at times sounds like something is "starting up." Danny is primarily responsible, sounded like a motorcycle revving up.

Last edited by paraflux; 09-12-2006 at 07:51 AM..
OFFLINE |