View Single Post
Old 01-09-2009, 12:51 PM   #3
Level 12 - Scurrilous

Bincount™: 135
Re: Opiate Vinyl Misprint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampjack View Post
Nearly a year ago, I purchased what I was led to believe as an original, sealed copy of the Opiate vinyl from a music vendor at a local flea market. Having owned the CD for years, I opted to treat it at somewhat of a keepsake and wait to open it on a special occasion. After talking about it with an old friend who is also a huge Tool fan several times, I decided to open it up and throw it on the turntable for the first time 2 nights ago (Tuesday).

Being slightly inebriated, it took me nearly an entire minute after dropping the stylus to realize that the track I was hearing was actually Intolerance, rather than Sweat. Upon further listening, the album ended up being disc 1 of Undertow, and not Opiate at all, despite having even the Opiate sticker on the front and back side of the lp, with even the Opiate track listing.

Interesting to note that the reverse of the album cover lists a 1993 copyright to Zoo Records, however the lp itself has a Volcano Records logo. The irony of the situation is that on the same day I bought this album, I also picked up a sealed copy of Undertow, which has yet to be opened.

After extensive Googling, the only similar reference I was able to find was a post on this forum from April 2007 http://toolnavy.com/archive/index.php/t-80817.html and at the time no one seemed to believe it was much of a special find. So my question is: is this actually a rare small batch misprint of the Opiate re-release, or merely a worthless bootleg? Thanks!
Go for the ceramic one and you will see