View Single Post
Just_Anger
01-19-2012, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merkaboy View Post
WOW some people have COMPLETELY different experiences!!!

this was my 28th show, I've seen every tour since '98, and it was easily the best one yet, a title previously held by red rocks '10 and the king crimson shows in '01

EASILY the best setlist I've ever seen since '01/'02, exactly half of the set was new to the setlist, which is pretty unheard of. hooker AND ticks AND pushit AND the pot AND the new bit that didn't have lyrics yet?!?!?!?!?!?!?

and the familiar songs like stinkfist, 46&2, and lateralus were superbly done. unexpected they played the album version of stinkfist and not the usual extended version. and certainly one of the best versions of lateralus ever, with buzz and dave. some of you are probably too new to remember all the shows in 96-02 where buzz jammed with the guys, he's always been a welcome addition to tool, and going by the face melting solo he played on sunday, this time was no different.

i thought the venue sounded great, I've been there before and i think it has great sound for an arena.

the visuals were better than they've ever been, they had elements of the 2010 set up, but more and bigger screens, and some new videos.

most of all everyone seemed like they were in great spirits, and happy to be performing. maynard sounded great and was really going for notes that i expected him to back off on, like the end of pushit.

seriously if you were disappointed than i can't imagine what you were expecting in the first place. i expected the same 2010 set with one or two replacements. O M G!!!!!! it was as if they said "lets play the stuff no one expects us to play, change it up for em". it was sooooooooooooo worth it, i wish i could see it again this tour, I'm jealous of you texans!!

and regarding the theory that if you've seen them a lot, it gets stale?? wow, news to me! I've got a collection of hundreds of live shows, and personally I've seen them 28 times as of last sunday, and i wish i could see the show again tomorrow!!
the reason I'm so obsessed with they're live show is because it produces an ecclesiastic high, a moment of uncontrollable emotional ecstasy that you can't replicate in any kind of church. its a psychedelic experience that needs no substances. its not always there...the gorge '06 and the '09 tour was kind of lackluster. but since '10 its been truly stellar. if there was a band that puts on a better live show, i'd like to know...

so glad they decided to do this tour before the new album, cause we're likely to never see many of those songs on the set ever again.

also interesting that people are accusing them of a cash grab lol I'm sure they knew this and why they're choosing to open with hooker with a penis hahahahaha the song takes on a whole new meaning now ;)

the lowlights....

the merch booth. could there not have been ONE new shirt and not old ones with new dates slapped on em? and was disappointed in the poster at first but now i really wish i'd bought one this time, just really wanted another AJ art. also $45?? really?!?! they were still $35 in '10.

schism. the slow part in the show. it needs to go, make way for H, the grudge, eulogy, something?!

the highlights?

Oh god way to many to mention!

p.s. how amazing is it that one can be smoking copious amounts of weed in their hotel room and 5 minutes later be sitting in their seats waiting for tool to take the stage any minute??? gotta love vegas ;)
Agreed. Experiences do differ! After reading reviews, I figured that my seat did not change the sound experience... but then there is this one. Be happy you had a good spot. I know what you mean about the high. Experiences seem to hinge not only upon the band, but who is around you. You have the merch right... Fuck that.

Have to say... any time that a performer of MJKs caliber forgets lyrics/can't sing/thinks it's funny is a slap in the face. Douche move. At least he faced the crowd... all be it in silhouette.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:29 PM   #26
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 01.15.2012 - Las Vegas, NV @ Mandalay Bay Events Centre

Quote:
Originally Posted by merkaboy View Post
WOW some people have COMPLETELY different experiences!!!

this was my 28th show, I've seen every tour since '98, and it was easily the best one yet, a title previously held by red rocks '10 and the king crimson shows in '01

EASILY the best setlist I've ever seen since '01/'02, exactly half of the set was new to the setlist, which is pretty unheard of. hooker AND ticks AND pushit AND the pot AND the new bit that didn't have lyrics yet?!?!?!?!?!?!?

and the familiar songs like stinkfist, 46&2, and lateralus were superbly done. unexpected they played the album version of stinkfist and not the usual extended version. and certainly one of the best versions of lateralus ever, with buzz and dave. some of you are probably too new to remember all the shows in 96-02 where buzz jammed with the guys, he's always been a welcome addition to tool, and going by the face melting solo he played on sunday, this time was no different.

i thought the venue sounded great, I've been there before and i think it has great sound for an arena.

the visuals were better than they've ever been, they had elements of the 2010 set up, but more and bigger screens, and some new videos.

most of all everyone seemed like they were in great spirits, and happy to be performing. maynard sounded great and was really going for notes that i expected him to back off on, like the end of pushit.

seriously if you were disappointed than i can't imagine what you were expecting in the first place. i expected the same 2010 set with one or two replacements. O M G!!!!!! it was as if they said "lets play the stuff no one expects us to play, change it up for em". it was sooooooooooooo worth it, i wish i could see it again this tour, I'm jealous of you texans!!

and regarding the theory that if you've seen them a lot, it gets stale?? wow, news to me! I've got a collection of hundreds of live shows, and personally I've seen them 28 times as of last sunday, and i wish i could see the show again tomorrow!!
the reason I'm so obsessed with they're live show is because it produces an ecclesiastic high, a moment of uncontrollable emotional ecstasy that you can't replicate in any kind of church. its a psychedelic experience that needs no substances. its not always there...the gorge '06 and the '09 tour was kind of lackluster. but since '10 its been truly stellar. if there was a band that puts on a better live show, i'd like to know...

so glad they decided to do this tour before the new album, cause we're likely to never see many of those songs on the set ever again.

also interesting that people are accusing them of a cash grab lol I'm sure they knew this and why they're choosing to open with hooker with a penis hahahahaha the song takes on a whole new meaning now ;)

the lowlights....

the merch booth. could there not have been ONE new shirt and not old ones with new dates slapped on em? and was disappointed in the poster at first but now i really wish i'd bought one this time, just really wanted another AJ art. also $45?? really?!?! they were still $35 in '10.

schism. the slow part in the show. it needs to go, make way for H, the grudge, eulogy, something?!

the highlights?

Oh god way to many to mention!

p.s. how amazing is it that one can be smoking copious amounts of weed in their hotel room and 5 minutes later be sitting in their seats waiting for tool to take the stage any minute??? gotta love vegas ;)
Agreed. Experiences do differ! After reading reviews, I figured that my seat did not change the sound experience... but then there is this one. Be happy you had a good spot. I know what you mean about the high. Experiences seem to hinge not only upon the band, but who is around you. You have the merch right... Fuck that.

Have to say... any time that a performer of MJKs caliber forgets lyrics/can't sing/thinks it's funny is a slap in the face. Douche move. At least he faced the crowd... all be it in silhouette.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote