View Single Post
Old 09-01-2006, 07:27 PM   #43
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/08/30 - Englewood, CO - Coors Amphitheater

Last night was my 4th tool show and the first with the new material. I have been lurking on this site for about 5 years, as I seem to not be able to go a week without a little Tool in my life, yet have never posted comments. I could begin with the standard bitching about the how horrible that sound was; or the obligatory guy screaming every lyric behind me; or even the token teenage guy in front of me that did a hippy dance back and forth partially blocking my view of Maynard's gyrations on every other down beat. But that is not the focal point of the Tool live performance. And as I see on the above reviews, these have already been discussed (as well as mentioned at all the other shows in this review section). We all know that we pay the $60 bucks, drive through rush hour traffic, stand in long lines, buy $9.50 beers because we crave the experience of a live show from our favorite band of today. A band that has something to say musically and visually. We also go to have healthy communicate with other fans that have the same desires to experience the moments of the songs we love played live (it was really nice meeting you Jeff and Brittany, see you around our smelly little cow town).

Now about the show. We were there early enough to see Isis, and they were actually not bad. Other than the singing/screaming, they were much better than Meshuggah or Tomahawk from the last tour. I thought Tool was very tight. The beginning of The Pot was a bit shaky, but it kicked in and finished as strong as I could have hoped. The jam in Stickfist and the drums in Schism were better than previously described on this site. They are both worth the price of admission. Lateralus was of course the highlighted song for me. Since the rotating Maynard platform from a few years ago, it has been a favorite of mine. And seeing them recreate Faaid De Oaip (which was missed on the setlist again) was an amazing Eargasm. The screens on the floor and on the side of the stage generated quite an enhanced visual effect to accompany the music. I remember a jam during one song where the screens had green squiggly lines thoroughout, and the lights shining down with a purple glow that really got my blood moving.

Overall the experience was great, the people were alive with energy. And to those who complain rather than enjoy, at least the guy singing behind me knew every thought provoking word and between songs was turning to him buddy saying things like "can you imagine anything better?", at least the guy in front of me can have the groove of the music flow through him with his girlfriend next to him with the same feelings, and the sound always sucks at Fiddlers/"Beer" Amphitheater…but you know that going in. The venue sucks, but the show was great. Can't wait to see them again in 2007 and any time they come to Colorado.

"Good……..night………Peace……..the fuck out"
OFFLINE |