View Single Post
Pyrrho
08-18-2019, 06:02 AM

Certainly seems that way Lotus.

Look at Invincible, a song about an ageing warrior looking for one last win to prove he's still relevant. A fighter, or a musician, often doesn't know when to cut his losses and leave the stage. There's always one more fight, one more album or one more tour. The warrior is feeling time bearing down and is now looking back at the battles he's won, but it's not very heroic to just hang up your armour and go home, so I'm reading this as a call to persist under great difficulty, especially since Maynard is not the quitting type. On Descending, which comes next after a segue (Legion Inoculum), we're being asked to summon the energy to do something about an existential threat. "Sound of revelry/To be or not to be/Rise, stay the grand finale/Stay the reading of our swan song and epilogue"

Since Track 2, "Pneuma" is Greek for "Breath" or, in a religious context "Spirit" or "soul" and Track 3, "Litanie contre la Peur" = "Litany Against Fear". I'm kinda taking the themes of this album to be about grounding oneself and rediscovering strength against the odds. Who knows what kind of thematic turn the album takes after track 7 though!

Obviously, it's super early to be analysing, but would we really be Tool fans if we weren't trying to interpret these songs asap?
Old 08-18-2019, 06:02 AM   #22
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: Potential meaning of Fear Inoculum... Fear of aging? (Lyrics Inside)

Certainly seems that way Lotus.

Look at Invincible, a song about an ageing warrior looking for one last win to prove he's still relevant. A fighter, or a musician, often doesn't know when to cut his losses and leave the stage. There's always one more fight, one more album or one more tour. The warrior is feeling time bearing down and is now looking back at the battles he's won, but it's not very heroic to just hang up your armour and go home, so I'm reading this as a call to persist under great difficulty, especially since Maynard is not the quitting type. On Descending, which comes next after a segue (Legion Inoculum), we're being asked to summon the energy to do something about an existential threat. "Sound of revelry/To be or not to be/Rise, stay the grand finale/Stay the reading of our swan song and epilogue"

Since Track 2, "Pneuma" is Greek for "Breath" or, in a religious context "Spirit" or "soul" and Track 3, "Litanie contre la Peur" = "Litany Against Fear". I'm kinda taking the themes of this album to be about grounding oneself and rediscovering strength against the odds. Who knows what kind of thematic turn the album takes after track 7 though!

Obviously, it's super early to be analysing, but would we really be Tool fans if we weren't trying to interpret these songs asap?
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote