View Single Post
deppo's Avatar deppo
08-08-2019, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmwc View Post
It's.. just okay. They've repeated so many musical ideas across releases that it tends to be a little like self-cannibalism. Pretty soon there will be nothing left to eat.

It just feels like a few different sections of music slapped together. There are definitely things in it I like, but I'm not boarding the hype train anytime soon.
I agree with this to some degree. There is undoubtedly some very familiar sounds, riffs, scales and structures in there referencing past releases. I'm not bored or disappointed by it though, these are the things I love about Tool's music, so I'm OK with hearing them again; tweaked, refined and wrapped around some new themes and ideas. That's essentially what the band is to me.
Old 08-08-2019, 04:53 PM   #16
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 20
Re: New song on streaming! Title track - Fear Inoculum

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmwc View Post
It's.. just okay. They've repeated so many musical ideas across releases that it tends to be a little like self-cannibalism. Pretty soon there will be nothing left to eat.

It just feels like a few different sections of music slapped together. There are definitely things in it I like, but I'm not boarding the hype train anytime soon.
I agree with this to some degree. There is undoubtedly some very familiar sounds, riffs, scales and structures in there referencing past releases. I'm not bored or disappointed by it though, these are the things I love about Tool's music, so I'm OK with hearing them again; tweaked, refined and wrapped around some new themes and ideas. That's essentially what the band is to me.