View Single Post
4stringaxe's Avatar 4stringaxe
06-20-2010, 01:19 PM

Been waiting to see this band again for years, and I was not disappointed...Well, mostly. But more on that later. For starters, I met some really cool people before the show, hung out in the parking lot, and eventually ended up taking a mushroom choco-pop before the show. Needless to say, I was in for a great time. I can't really fairly review the opening band, since I was standing in the merch line the entire time. But by the time I got my stiff drink and went to my seat (floor left, row 9), the show was about to start.

The anticipation in the crowd was palpable, the lights went down, and then I heard a familiar voice: "Think for yourself, question authority"
Timothy Leary appears in an amalgamation of trippy colors as if in a dream, as the band takes to the stage one at a time. Danny was in the same Lakers getup he was wearing when I saw them back in '07, Maynard wearing a baseball cap with a shirt that read "Postal" across the back, and a megaphone strapped to his hip. Adam looking clean cut in a white button down, and I couldn't quite see what justin was wearing, but he was brimming with energy.

Anyway, Third Eye ensued and was every bit as enthralling as you would imagine. The ending was extended so it was a bit longer than the album version.

"For next two hours, we're gonna stand up here, and pretend everything is alright. Cheers."

Jambi.

Not much new to say about this one, saw it back in '07 and was just as amazing this time. I was disappointed in the crowd for not jumping during the breakdown riff, but I blame the security.

Give me a minute to rant about the security. It was a total. fucking. buzzkill. It was as if they just wanted us all to stand at attention and calmly watch the show. Every 30 seconds or so, I was having a stupid flashlight shined in my face. Anyone standing on their seats was ordered to get back on the floor. Overall, a disappointing and timid crowd, but again, I blame the security.

After Jambi, they did a deceptive intro, and it sounded as if they were about to play "Intension" but then they kicked off Stinkfist, which I saw last time as well. Still amazing, incredible energy from the band on stage.

Another trippy instrumental mindfuck, and then Vicarious. Again, lots and lots of energy from the crowd here, and near the end, maynard let the crowd sing "Vicariously I live while the whole world dies, much better you than I"

Eon blue + Patient. Crowd went fucking nuts. I have never seen them play this live, and I am really grateful that they did. Spot on performance by all members of the band.

"Ya'll believe in time travel?...

I believe in time travel"

Intolerance, and it was incredible. Adam was brilliant on the guitar.

Then the intermission. Background visuals was a very colorful, intricate web, with ambient droning that went on for long enough to make the note changes profound. At times the bass was deep enough to rattle my soul.

Trippy instrumental mindfuck, then Schism, which was excellent. Crowd went wild as expected. The 'quiet' part was extended excellently, lots and lots of energy.

Tool loves their transitions, and to keep the crowd guessing. after more fooling about with trippy sounds, they went into 46 & 2, which was just as awesome as when I saw it last time. Not really much new to say here either.

Lateralus, with an extended intro, was amazing as always, with an excellent light show to accompany it. I thought this was going to be it, but then

"Everything is going to work out." (at least I think this is where he says it, I could be wrong)

"....hey hey hey hey hey"

Aenema, which sent the crowd into a frenzy. What a fitting city to play such a song in, learn to swim.

Anyway, whole show was incredible. but not for my complaints.

First off, the crowd was much too timid, at least down on the floor where I was. Security was getting on everyone's nerves. There was one guy next to me enjoying himself, and my friend moved to the row in front of me, leaving me standing next to a statue of a man who literally just stood there with his arms crossed the whole time, just being a pillar of negative energy. Really wasn't an enjoyable person to share such an experience with. Maynard seemed to share my thoughts on the general attitude, because he got the fuck out really, really quick. I can't say I blame him. The rest of the band lingered briefly, and I am incredibly jealous of my friend who I went with, who disappeared to the front row at the end of the show, at which point a pumped up Danny ran by, shook him by the shoulders, and shook his hand. Lucky bastard.

I eagerly await their return, I would love to ride the spiral again soon.
Old 06-20-2010, 01:19 PM   #4
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
Re: 06.19.2010 - New Orleans, LA @ UNO Arena

Been waiting to see this band again for years, and I was not disappointed...Well, mostly. But more on that later. For starters, I met some really cool people before the show, hung out in the parking lot, and eventually ended up taking a mushroom choco-pop before the show. Needless to say, I was in for a great time. I can't really fairly review the opening band, since I was standing in the merch line the entire time. But by the time I got my stiff drink and went to my seat (floor left, row 9), the show was about to start.

The anticipation in the crowd was palpable, the lights went down, and then I heard a familiar voice: "Think for yourself, question authority"
Timothy Leary appears in an amalgamation of trippy colors as if in a dream, as the band takes to the stage one at a time. Danny was in the same Lakers getup he was wearing when I saw them back in '07, Maynard wearing a baseball cap with a shirt that read "Postal" across the back, and a megaphone strapped to his hip. Adam looking clean cut in a white button down, and I couldn't quite see what justin was wearing, but he was brimming with energy.

Anyway, Third Eye ensued and was every bit as enthralling as you would imagine. The ending was extended so it was a bit longer than the album version.

"For next two hours, we're gonna stand up here, and pretend everything is alright. Cheers."

Jambi.

Not much new to say about this one, saw it back in '07 and was just as amazing this time. I was disappointed in the crowd for not jumping during the breakdown riff, but I blame the security.

Give me a minute to rant about the security. It was a total. fucking. buzzkill. It was as if they just wanted us all to stand at attention and calmly watch the show. Every 30 seconds or so, I was having a stupid flashlight shined in my face. Anyone standing on their seats was ordered to get back on the floor. Overall, a disappointing and timid crowd, but again, I blame the security.

After Jambi, they did a deceptive intro, and it sounded as if they were about to play "Intension" but then they kicked off Stinkfist, which I saw last time as well. Still amazing, incredible energy from the band on stage.

Another trippy instrumental mindfuck, and then Vicarious. Again, lots and lots of energy from the crowd here, and near the end, maynard let the crowd sing "Vicariously I live while the whole world dies, much better you than I"

Eon blue + Patient. Crowd went fucking nuts. I have never seen them play this live, and I am really grateful that they did. Spot on performance by all members of the band.

"Ya'll believe in time travel?...

I believe in time travel"

Intolerance, and it was incredible. Adam was brilliant on the guitar.

Then the intermission. Background visuals was a very colorful, intricate web, with ambient droning that went on for long enough to make the note changes profound. At times the bass was deep enough to rattle my soul.

Trippy instrumental mindfuck, then Schism, which was excellent. Crowd went wild as expected. The 'quiet' part was extended excellently, lots and lots of energy.

Tool loves their transitions, and to keep the crowd guessing. after more fooling about with trippy sounds, they went into 46 & 2, which was just as awesome as when I saw it last time. Not really much new to say here either.

Lateralus, with an extended intro, was amazing as always, with an excellent light show to accompany it. I thought this was going to be it, but then

"Everything is going to work out." (at least I think this is where he says it, I could be wrong)

"....hey hey hey hey hey"

Aenema, which sent the crowd into a frenzy. What a fitting city to play such a song in, learn to swim.

Anyway, whole show was incredible. but not for my complaints.

First off, the crowd was much too timid, at least down on the floor where I was. Security was getting on everyone's nerves. There was one guy next to me enjoying himself, and my friend moved to the row in front of me, leaving me standing next to a statue of a man who literally just stood there with his arms crossed the whole time, just being a pillar of negative energy. Really wasn't an enjoyable person to share such an experience with. Maynard seemed to share my thoughts on the general attitude, because he got the fuck out really, really quick. I can't say I blame him. The rest of the band lingered briefly, and I am incredibly jealous of my friend who I went with, who disappeared to the front row at the end of the show, at which point a pumped up Danny ran by, shook him by the shoulders, and shook his hand. Lucky bastard.

I eagerly await their return, I would love to ride the spiral again soon.
OFFLINE |