View Single Post
FistTOOL
02-09-2012, 11:14 PM

a short story: You may not believe me, but my friend and I saw Maynard before the show in Duluth. He was right there, amongst us mere mortals, walking through the crowd, dressed as a police officer. He was walking briskly and talking on the phone. But it was him. As he walked by, I said to my friend, "That cop looks like Maynard." My friend, who has followed TOOL for as long as I have (15 years) agreed and asked, "Are you sure that's not him?" I replied that it wasn't, "It just looks like him." This occurred about 20 minutes before TOOL took the stage. When Maynard emerged on stage, it was clear that he had a night stick on his hip and it became clear that he was dressed as an police officer. He had removed the more formal officer vest that he had on in the lobby (he had on a shirt that read "Postal" during the concert) but the rest of the uniform was in tact. Before I could say anything, my friend punched me on the arm and accused me of ruining our opportunity to meet one of our personal, musical heros. I don't know what I would have said to him. I'm not sure if he would have given us the time of day, but I missed the chance to find out because I doubted my (and my friend's) intuition. The most that I can say is that I made eye contact with Maynard, but I can say no more. And, yes...I do have a man crush on Maynard.

By the way, the concert was amazing. Best of the four I've been to in the past 6 years. I hope when Maynard said "Fuck you, last concert" he wasn't making a more significant statement about the band's future or lack thereof. I hope we get to see another album and at least one more round of touring. Take care.

Last edited by FistTOOL; 02-09-2012 at 11:16 PM..
Old 02-09-2012, 11:14 PM   #33
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 02.08.2012 - Duluth, GA @ Gwinnet Arena

a short story: You may not believe me, but my friend and I saw Maynard before the show in Duluth. He was right there, amongst us mere mortals, walking through the crowd, dressed as a police officer. He was walking briskly and talking on the phone. But it was him. As he walked by, I said to my friend, "That cop looks like Maynard." My friend, who has followed TOOL for as long as I have (15 years) agreed and asked, "Are you sure that's not him?" I replied that it wasn't, "It just looks like him." This occurred about 20 minutes before TOOL took the stage. When Maynard emerged on stage, it was clear that he had a night stick on his hip and it became clear that he was dressed as an police officer. He had removed the more formal officer vest that he had on in the lobby (he had on a shirt that read "Postal" during the concert) but the rest of the uniform was in tact. Before I could say anything, my friend punched me on the arm and accused me of ruining our opportunity to meet one of our personal, musical heros. I don't know what I would have said to him. I'm not sure if he would have given us the time of day, but I missed the chance to find out because I doubted my (and my friend's) intuition. The most that I can say is that I made eye contact with Maynard, but I can say no more. And, yes...I do have a man crush on Maynard.

By the way, the concert was amazing. Best of the four I've been to in the past 6 years. I hope when Maynard said "Fuck you, last concert" he wasn't making a more significant statement about the band's future or lack thereof. I hope we get to see another album and at least one more round of touring. Take care.

Last edited by FistTOOL; 02-09-2012 at 11:16 PM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote