View Single Post
jazo
01-26-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubycon2035 View Post
I was getting bad vibes from Maynard. He disappointed me with his effort. I felt he was rude. Perhaps he didn't care much for the audience ( full of teens and ignorant kids), but there are some of us that aren't trashed and are more respectful of this event, so we should all be thought of. He didn't bow to the audience at the end, or thank us for that matter.

No, Maynard, I don't find your quirky actions to be mesmerizing. If you're(maynard) going to carry a night stick around on stage, you're telling everyone that you're afraid of someone getting up there and really doing some damage to your old body. Why don't you deal with them with your bare hands as I've seen you do before? You're sending bad messages to your fans. You have a responsibility to other humans.

Everything maynard does is a statement, and I just think he is getting weaker, older, physically and spiritually. Why tour if you don't care?
I really like Adam, Danny, and Justin. They look like a family up there. I personally wouldn't mind seeing those 3 perform without maynard. He barely sang, barely talked, and was in the dark the entire time. When he did sing, it was over his own voice track... so... just... go away.

The essence of Tool was and always will be is the atmosphere created by the music. Adam and Danny had a vision of being able to convey such emotions through this medium of music, and they stay true to what that is. That is why I, and so many others began to like them. NEVER was the poetry and writing of maynard, or his weirdness the reason I got into this band. Go ahead and overthink everything, Maynard, your poems don't impress me.

Adam and Danny: maynard is replaceable! What I see and what I feel is that you 2 are TOOL.

Much love, and if I disrespected any Maynard fans, it was not intended.

Keep making songs Danny, Adam and Justin. You all complement each other musically in such a uniquely fascinating way.
So utterly confused by the sentiment expressed here...

You are either new to seeing them live of jaded by seeing them in their "prime" back in the day. Either way, it strikes me as odd you'd be so critical of this performance.

07/09 tour was full of setlist complaints. Now after the 10/11 tour and this 12 tour, I'm seeing less of that and more bitching about how Maynard's not into it, not feeling it emotionally, not truly singing.

What does he honestly have to do? They played Hooker, Ticks, and Pushit and you're still gonna say he phoned it in or wasn't feeling it?

Does he sound like he did in 1996 or 2001? NO. This is 2012 and Maynard is 50 years old. Think about that for a second. The man is still putting a lot of effort into songs he vocally pushed himself to the limit with 10+ years ago.

Come on people, I know it's not album-quality Maynard James Keenan but seriously, whenever I read these reviews as of late the tone screams of people looking for problems in the performance and not just sitting back and enjoying the experience.

I was at this show and I had an incredibly awesome time. I was on the floor in line with Adam and besides the very beginning of Hooker, had no trouble hearing Maynard the entire night. I heard him scream in ways I NEVER expected to hear that night because I went in with realistic expectations.

Fucking Ticks and Leeches starts and the random guy next to me shared my instantaneous "HOLY SHIT NOOOO FUCKING WAAY!" moment. The ending of that song I expected 0 noise from Maynard after hearing about how difficult it was to record and likewise perform live (only having been performed a handful of times before this too). Guess what, he delivered and I felt there was nothing missing from the rendition they gave us by the time it ended.

Pushit blew my mind at how sonically on point they can all be. I'd never heard it live before and it was very special to know that this emotional song was in the set. That breakdown had the crowd going WILD too. Very special moment.

Schism intro, new material or not was very pleasing. I loved the beat Danny had going once he kicked it into gear.

Intension... wow was not expecting that one. Such a beautiful song with highly on point visuals. At the end I was praying beyond all hope they'd jump into Right In Two (saw that in 06 but barely remember it) but nope, perfect segue into Forty Six & 2. They of course knock that one out of the park every time.

Felt weird about the rushed start to Lateralus. Something with the timing of the show was clearly up since we didn't get another song after the intermission. Whatever the case, that is my only real gripe with the show on the whole.

The new video screen though... my god it is like Tool in IMAX (stealing this description from someone else). Once it had opened all the way I was watching the high'd up people around me jump during some of the transitions.. all those pixels flying at ya! :)

In closing, I am super stoked for the future of TOOL. One thing I haven't seen anyone say in here is that at the beginning, I think after Jambi, Maynard most DEFINITELY said "Yeah, there'll be another one.."
7/30/09 - Fairfax
7/10/10 - Seattle
1/24/12 - Toledo
6/23/12 - River's Edge
10/31/15 - Tempe
10/22/16 - Aftershock
6/17/17 - The Gorge
Old 01-26-2012, 03:38 PM   #24
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 01.24.2012 - Toledo, OH @ Huntington Centre

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubycon2035 View Post
I was getting bad vibes from Maynard. He disappointed me with his effort. I felt he was rude. Perhaps he didn't care much for the audience ( full of teens and ignorant kids), but there are some of us that aren't trashed and are more respectful of this event, so we should all be thought of. He didn't bow to the audience at the end, or thank us for that matter.

No, Maynard, I don't find your quirky actions to be mesmerizing. If you're(maynard) going to carry a night stick around on stage, you're telling everyone that you're afraid of someone getting up there and really doing some damage to your old body. Why don't you deal with them with your bare hands as I've seen you do before? You're sending bad messages to your fans. You have a responsibility to other humans.

Everything maynard does is a statement, and I just think he is getting weaker, older, physically and spiritually. Why tour if you don't care?
I really like Adam, Danny, and Justin. They look like a family up there. I personally wouldn't mind seeing those 3 perform without maynard. He barely sang, barely talked, and was in the dark the entire time. When he did sing, it was over his own voice track... so... just... go away.

The essence of Tool was and always will be is the atmosphere created by the music. Adam and Danny had a vision of being able to convey such emotions through this medium of music, and they stay true to what that is. That is why I, and so many others began to like them. NEVER was the poetry and writing of maynard, or his weirdness the reason I got into this band. Go ahead and overthink everything, Maynard, your poems don't impress me.

Adam and Danny: maynard is replaceable! What I see and what I feel is that you 2 are TOOL.

Much love, and if I disrespected any Maynard fans, it was not intended.

Keep making songs Danny, Adam and Justin. You all complement each other musically in such a uniquely fascinating way.
So utterly confused by the sentiment expressed here...

You are either new to seeing them live of jaded by seeing them in their "prime" back in the day. Either way, it strikes me as odd you'd be so critical of this performance.

07/09 tour was full of setlist complaints. Now after the 10/11 tour and this 12 tour, I'm seeing less of that and more bitching about how Maynard's not into it, not feeling it emotionally, not truly singing.

What does he honestly have to do? They played Hooker, Ticks, and Pushit and you're still gonna say he phoned it in or wasn't feeling it?

Does he sound like he did in 1996 or 2001? NO. This is 2012 and Maynard is 50 years old. Think about that for a second. The man is still putting a lot of effort into songs he vocally pushed himself to the limit with 10+ years ago.

Come on people, I know it's not album-quality Maynard James Keenan but seriously, whenever I read these reviews as of late the tone screams of people looking for problems in the performance and not just sitting back and enjoying the experience.

I was at this show and I had an incredibly awesome time. I was on the floor in line with Adam and besides the very beginning of Hooker, had no trouble hearing Maynard the entire night. I heard him scream in ways I NEVER expected to hear that night because I went in with realistic expectations.

Fucking Ticks and Leeches starts and the random guy next to me shared my instantaneous "HOLY SHIT NOOOO FUCKING WAAY!" moment. The ending of that song I expected 0 noise from Maynard after hearing about how difficult it was to record and likewise perform live (only having been performed a handful of times before this too). Guess what, he delivered and I felt there was nothing missing from the rendition they gave us by the time it ended.

Pushit blew my mind at how sonically on point they can all be. I'd never heard it live before and it was very special to know that this emotional song was in the set. That breakdown had the crowd going WILD too. Very special moment.

Schism intro, new material or not was very pleasing. I loved the beat Danny had going once he kicked it into gear.

Intension... wow was not expecting that one. Such a beautiful song with highly on point visuals. At the end I was praying beyond all hope they'd jump into Right In Two (saw that in 06 but barely remember it) but nope, perfect segue into Forty Six & 2. They of course knock that one out of the park every time.

Felt weird about the rushed start to Lateralus. Something with the timing of the show was clearly up since we didn't get another song after the intermission. Whatever the case, that is my only real gripe with the show on the whole.

The new video screen though... my god it is like Tool in IMAX (stealing this description from someone else). Once it had opened all the way I was watching the high'd up people around me jump during some of the transitions.. all those pixels flying at ya! :)

In closing, I am super stoked for the future of TOOL. One thing I haven't seen anyone say in here is that at the beginning, I think after Jambi, Maynard most DEFINITELY said "Yeah, there'll be another one.."
7/30/09 - Fairfax
7/10/10 - Seattle
1/24/12 - Toledo
6/23/12 - River's Edge
10/31/15 - Tempe
10/22/16 - Aftershock
6/17/17 - The Gorge
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote