View Single Post
tmarsh
02-02-2011, 04:40 PM

OMG I felt like Maynard was in my soul and singing to me.
Hahaha, nah I am just fking around.

So, Tool are a rock band. Stripping away all the pretence and carry on about them (OMG did you see Maynard walk to the left of stage, WHAT WAS HE DOING! WHAT WAS HE WEARING?!), and the obviously amazing video, you're still left with a rock band. So it is from this position, and with regard to Tool's fairly healthy back catalogue (I am looking at you Opiate-Undertow-Aenema).

Here's a great summary of the rest of the concert apart from Third Eye, You Lied, Aenema and Stinkfist: Ho hum. My brother was half asleep for everything in between

Of course this is just my opinion but watching the crowd talking etc in between the rockier songs, and their reaction when Lateralus through to Stinkfist were played, I'm left wondering, what happened to the energy and chaos of earlier shows. What is the rest of it but filler in what could otherwise be a pretty amazing rock spectacle.

Certainly, the energy of songs such as Opiate, Pushit, Sober, Eulogy, Cold and Ugly, Grudge leave me in two minds post the show. Compared to the other times I have seen them, with songs like Pushit, Opiate, Grudge, Sober and their ilk, I feel ambivalent about last night's show, except for the treat that was Third Eye (which was incredible).

Not to take anything away from anyone who saw them for the first time (I can identify with the feeling), I felt like Intension/Right in Two, Jambi, Schism and Vicarious are wasting time.

Silly old monkeys indeed.

Anyway, compared to Muse's recent Melbourne show, whilst Matt B is obviously in possession of a fairly healthy ego, he honours the crowd with an incredibly rocking show.

I just wonder what the focus with some of the newer songs is, over and over...there's a seeming aversion to some of the older stuff...if the old stuff can be "rested" when can we have Schism rested.

Just my thoughts, anyways.

Last edited by tmarsh; 02-02-2011 at 04:40 PM.. Reason: edit
Old 02-02-2011, 04:40 PM   #18
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 02.02.11 - Melbourne @ Myer Bowl

OMG I felt like Maynard was in my soul and singing to me.
Hahaha, nah I am just fking around.

So, Tool are a rock band. Stripping away all the pretence and carry on about them (OMG did you see Maynard walk to the left of stage, WHAT WAS HE DOING! WHAT WAS HE WEARING?!), and the obviously amazing video, you're still left with a rock band. So it is from this position, and with regard to Tool's fairly healthy back catalogue (I am looking at you Opiate-Undertow-Aenema).

Here's a great summary of the rest of the concert apart from Third Eye, You Lied, Aenema and Stinkfist: Ho hum. My brother was half asleep for everything in between

Of course this is just my opinion but watching the crowd talking etc in between the rockier songs, and their reaction when Lateralus through to Stinkfist were played, I'm left wondering, what happened to the energy and chaos of earlier shows. What is the rest of it but filler in what could otherwise be a pretty amazing rock spectacle.

Certainly, the energy of songs such as Opiate, Pushit, Sober, Eulogy, Cold and Ugly, Grudge leave me in two minds post the show. Compared to the other times I have seen them, with songs like Pushit, Opiate, Grudge, Sober and their ilk, I feel ambivalent about last night's show, except for the treat that was Third Eye (which was incredible).

Not to take anything away from anyone who saw them for the first time (I can identify with the feeling), I felt like Intension/Right in Two, Jambi, Schism and Vicarious are wasting time.

Silly old monkeys indeed.

Anyway, compared to Muse's recent Melbourne show, whilst Matt B is obviously in possession of a fairly healthy ego, he honours the crowd with an incredibly rocking show.

I just wonder what the focus with some of the newer songs is, over and over...there's a seeming aversion to some of the older stuff...if the old stuff can be "rested" when can we have Schism rested.

Just my thoughts, anyways.

Last edited by tmarsh; 02-02-2011 at 04:40 PM.. Reason: edit
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote