View Single Post
Old 09-24-2019, 08:17 AM   #6
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: Psychopathy. Don’t You dare point that at me.

The layers and interpretations of Tool's music invade so many different facets of life, it's a little hard to specify any decisive intent they may have had in the first place. This new album, so widely evolved, on so many levels; it's even tougher for me to rationalize all this as "the meaning." But this group, it seems to me, has made a social declaration of dissonance that must be overcome to survive. Agree or don't, just indulge me for a moment, wouldn't you?

There is a poignant departure from traditional Tool songs on this album. A linear narrative comes into play weaved between each song. The normal introspective thoughts seem to be blanketed under a much different tone than we've heard before. Driven by empathetic concern over rythm, 'Culling Voices' is becoming more and more apparent to me, a socio-politically charged cautionary tale that's been easily overlooked as a b-side track.

"Disembodied voices deepen my
Suspicious tendencies" ... what an eloquent way to speak about the media network's 'talking heads', and all the fear mongering their opinions birth? Clever....

"Heated altercations we've never had
so I'm told
Yet guided by them all
Every single one" .... discordant beliefs forced on us through sound bytes from one side or the other. Becoming conditioned to despise the other's format from the viral opinions of the week. Not just the extremists, every single one.

"Judge, condemn, and banish any and everyone
Without evidence
Only the whispers from within" ... Plant what you will, in a bed ripe for growth, then watch it take shape and reap what you've sown. No longer a need to rely on someone's opinion of these people you hate. You have that in you now and listen to instead. This lack of empathy, and the rest of psycopathy's traits are the bloom of what was planted long ago in this tale.

The people diagnosed with these markers of psycopathy have been found to gravitate towards a certain number of careers. Those centered, or those that revolve around politics, rise to the top of the list. That might be a stretch and wind up circumstantial, but it's worth noting.

Back to our author's narrative, we find this phrase is continually repeating, "psychopathy don't you dare point that at me" ... Surging dramatic tones, feeding one another from the character's deflection of such an accusation finally ruptures into aggression.

I find it very interesting that in the climax of the song, he chooses not to sing the "me" at the end of the phrasing. Almost aware in the absence of his vocals you still sing "me," and I can't help but wonder if he wrote this in third person omniscience; the audience as the narrator's character(s).

Political or not, that is quite brilliant a notion, if it's the case. Forcing self reflection by identifying as that character from the literal lack of narrative in that moment. It isn't a far flung idea they could have envisioned a piece that gave us depth on such a level.

I think it's safe to say this isn't a sequel or second act to any pervious works. They managed to serve us something so inconspicuously familiar it could be easily overlooked. And therein lies the gravity of it's meaning.

Your role as the audience in this album's narrative is quite possibly the real motive in it's meaning....

Keep digging. 💜
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote