View Single Post
guitarpete987
05-22-2006, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMudd
Well, this could be a blessing. You hear the song as a whole, and appreciate the composition as one sound.

On the other hand I can understand your frustration. Maybe if you "trained" your ears to pick out the drums by listening to more drum solos (like Mike Portnoy or Neil Peart) you might have an easier time.

Most people have the hardest time hearing the Toms and Bass Drums as well as the Bass guitar. Usually people hear the snare, cymbals, guitar, and vocals easiest because they are all in the same frequency range as the human voice. (I know that info may be useless, but just thought I would throw it in there).
All well put. That's what I was going to say. Also, it helps to have a sound system with decent midrange and bass response. On a poor system the frequency ranges that the toms and bass drum are in are simply lost, and more subtle touches like the ride cymbal and complex hi-hat work can also get buried.
Old 05-22-2006, 04:06 PM   #218
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 4
Re: What is Wrong With My Ears...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMudd
Well, this could be a blessing. You hear the song as a whole, and appreciate the composition as one sound.

On the other hand I can understand your frustration. Maybe if you "trained" your ears to pick out the drums by listening to more drum solos (like Mike Portnoy or Neil Peart) you might have an easier time.

Most people have the hardest time hearing the Toms and Bass Drums as well as the Bass guitar. Usually people hear the snare, cymbals, guitar, and vocals easiest because they are all in the same frequency range as the human voice. (I know that info may be useless, but just thought I would throw it in there).
All well put. That's what I was going to say. Also, it helps to have a sound system with decent midrange and bass response. On a poor system the frequency ranges that the toms and bass drum are in are simply lost, and more subtle touches like the ride cymbal and complex hi-hat work can also get buried.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote