View Single Post
Old 10-07-2003, 12:25 PM   #1
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
H. - An interpretation

THIS IS MY OPINION

I'll start this by commenting on the origin of the name of the song. It was origianly called Half Full, but Maynard thought that was just as interchangable as Half Empty, so he just called it H. to show the sides of the decision. He has been quoted to have said in concerts "This song is about Choices." The song is about the decision to be in his son Devo's life or not. Another interesting tidbit is that in 46+2, he makes reference to H. ("I'v been crawling on my belly, clearing out what could have been"). Anyway, without further adoooooo, here's the interpretation.

H.

What's coming through is alive.
What's holding up is a mirror.
But what's singing songs is a snake looking to turn this piss to wine. They're both totally void of hate, but killing me just the same.
The snake behind me hisses what my damage could have been.
My blood before me begs me open up my heart again.
And I feel this coming over like a storm again.
considerately.
Venomous voice, tempts me, drains me, bleeds me, leaves me cracked and empty.
Drags me down like some sweet gravity.
I am too connected to you to slip away, to fade away.
Days away I still feel you touching me, changing me, and considerately killing me.
Without the skin, beneath the storm, under these tears the walls came down.
And the snake is drowned and as I look in his eyes, my fear begins to fade recalling all of those times.
I could have cried then.
I should have cried then.
And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes my fear begins to fade recalling all of the times I have died and will die.
It's all right.
I don't mind.
Days away I still feel you touching me, changing me, and considerately killing me.

What's coming through is alive.
The baby being brought into the world is a life he created.

What's holding up is a mirror.
The baby is like a reflection or mirror image of him.

But what's singing songs is a snake looking to turn this piss to wine.
But there's a voice in the back of his head telling him to leave his son's life for the sake of his own, looking to turn a bad situation into a good one.

They're both totally void of hate, but killing me just the same.
The temptation to leave his son's life is not because he dislikes him, but that dosent make the decision any easier.

He hears the side of the decision that tells him what oppertunities he will be leaving behind and the things he will be giving up if he decides to take a child into his life.

Seing his son before him makes him lose all his defenses and want to accept him into his life.

He feels the decision coming over his conciousness like a storm.

considerately.
But not because of hate, which is why it is so hard, all his son wants is love.

Venomous voice, tempts me, drains me, bleeds me, leaves me cracked and empty.
The side of him that wants him to leave his child leaves him exhausted, tempting him with the posabilities of his life staying the same.

Drags me down like some sweet gravity.
Concideratly brings him down, but not because of hate or negative emotions.

The side of him that tempts him to leave his child reminds him what he could be giving up by accepting Devo into his life.

Seeing his son in front of him makes him drop all his guards.

He feels the decision coming over his conciousness like a storm, in waves.

He realizes he loves his son too much to let him slip out of his life.

He realizes that seeing a life he has made is changing him, purifying and transforming his soul while at the same time killing the person he used to be and possabilites he is leaving behind.

Without the skin, beneath the storm, under these tears the walls came down.
He breaks down and cries, realizing he can't hold up the walls against his son forever because he loves him too much.

And the snake is drowned and as I look in his eyes, my fear begins to fade recalling all of those times.
The part of him that tempted him to leave his son is gone, and looking at him he begins to realize all the times he wasted that could have been full a happiness because of his love for his son.

I could have cried then.
He could have accepted his son his son into his life much sooner and felt all these wonderfull emotions before.

I should have cried then.
He should have accpted his son sooner and let the posative emotions take ahold of him.

And as the walls come down and as I look in your eyes my fear begins to fade recalling all of the times I have died and will die.
He looks at his son and realizes that everyone has a father, and everyone deserves to know their father and that it's okay that he is that person, because he dident like it when his mother left him when he was 11.

It's all right.
It's allright that he is Devo's father.

I don't mind.
He dosent mind being a father.

He loves his son too much to fade out of his life.

And allthough he has accepted his son into his life and it's a wonderful thing, he still somtimes wonders what could have been if he haden't.

yep, that's my interpretation. The birth of his son plays a large role in the themes of both AEnima and Lateralus, with many songs on each cd about birth and Devo. This is an amazing song, and i hope you now have a new perspecive on it. If you want me to interpret any other of tool's songs, just name one and i'll do my best....i listen to TooL too much lol.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote