View Single Post
$avage's Avatar $avage
06-20-2010, 11:51 AM

Hiya. I was sitting in Section D (A bit to the right of the stage). I immediately noticed the screens on the ceiling, as well as the usual screens behind the band.. plus more screens on the side.. and I just felt something different about to tonight. I've seen tool in Baton Rouge/New Orleans every time they came since 2006, which happened to be twice.. but this one blew the other two out the water.

I'll start by saying Wovenhand was interesting, but I think they're meant for a smaller stage and more intimate setting. I'd describe them as heavy foreign folk music.

Then, 15 minutes after Wovenhand departed.. Timothy Leary's appeared in a yellow/red/green distorted and graphically altered state chanting the words "think for yourself.. question authority." The known speech kicked that anyone who has heard Salival will recognize, and the band came out to an eruption of applause. They went straight into Third Eye, and maynard started snapping shots of people with his cellphone (iphone?)... he was about to take Adam's picture, when he realized he had to sing and started into Third Eye a line late, then finished his picture taking with Adam. This song was epic.. and completely unexpected. I can't begin to describe the energy of the song, which only set up the energy for the entire night. Best concert I've been too. I'd had begin to think we'd get the same ole' same ole' but I was mistaken and apologize!

I'd like to ask anyone who questions Maynard's dedication to the band to just flat out stop. He was active, moving around and dancing and really appeared to be having a good time. He also was hitting notes and sounded stellar. Sure, he wasn't bolting yells all the time, but I don't think anyone expects him to. He was out there giving it his all, and really brought the energy. He had a wine bottle, which I assume was Puscifer, and said "Cheers" and started drinking shortly after Jambi.

We get extended Stinkfist and the show just kept rocking.

From here, Jambi was as per usual. Although Amazing as always.

Vicarious featuring Maynard's megaphone

Eon -> Patient and HOLY SHIT. It sounded spectacular and Maynard killed it! New Visuals and just unreal to know that you're not getting 'just the motions' like many felt from 10k Days. This was a collection of amazing songs from one of the greatest bands ever, and it was so rewarding to feel this way.

"Do you guys believe in Time Travel? I believe in time travel" in the most hick Louisiana accent ever spoken. Then, a 3D Undertow logo came in the video screen and Intolerance saw the light of day! Such an epic song and timeless song. Maynard sounded extraordinary, as did the whole band the entire night.

Schism was up next, which I thought was the lackluster part of the night. The whole show was rocking and this seemed to be the only drag, atleast for me, during the show. I just can't get excited for this song anymore, but that's my fault. They did extend it, and it was obviously enjoyable.. just not as exciting.

46&2 was dope, as usual too. They had video screens come down from the rafters and land behind Justin and Adam, as if to show this creature walking behind them.. really neat.

Then Intermission with the most trippy video and sound I've ever heard in my life. Describing it won't do it justice.. just go see it. This video/intermission > Schism. Just saying.

The band retook the stage and out came Lateralus in all of it's glory. For a moment, I thought this would be the closer as it ended with white lights shining everywhere, almost giving off the illusion of house lights. However, 10 seconds later it got dark and the whispers of "Hey Hey Hey Hey..." came and the entire fucking building just went apeshit. Incredible vibe all night and energy and the band brought it.

Best show ever for me, and I felt like I got a real tool show. Not something scripted, or not a 'this is what we're playing' vibe.. just a big party and energy filled show full of surprises and good times.

Maynardisms:
"For the next 2 hours, you're going to be okay. Everything is going to be okay." which was right after the entire building was having seizures from Third Eye.

After Jambi he had his bottle of wine out and said "Cheers."

Right before Intolerance he said "Y'all believe in time travel? I believe in time travel." In a huge hick accent.
Old 06-20-2010, 11:51 AM   #2
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 06.19.2010 - New Orleans, LA @ UNO Arena

Hiya. I was sitting in Section D (A bit to the right of the stage). I immediately noticed the screens on the ceiling, as well as the usual screens behind the band.. plus more screens on the side.. and I just felt something different about to tonight. I've seen tool in Baton Rouge/New Orleans every time they came since 2006, which happened to be twice.. but this one blew the other two out the water.

I'll start by saying Wovenhand was interesting, but I think they're meant for a smaller stage and more intimate setting. I'd describe them as heavy foreign folk music.

Then, 15 minutes after Wovenhand departed.. Timothy Leary's appeared in a yellow/red/green distorted and graphically altered state chanting the words "think for yourself.. question authority." The known speech kicked that anyone who has heard Salival will recognize, and the band came out to an eruption of applause. They went straight into Third Eye, and maynard started snapping shots of people with his cellphone (iphone?)... he was about to take Adam's picture, when he realized he had to sing and started into Third Eye a line late, then finished his picture taking with Adam. This song was epic.. and completely unexpected. I can't begin to describe the energy of the song, which only set up the energy for the entire night. Best concert I've been too. I'd had begin to think we'd get the same ole' same ole' but I was mistaken and apologize!

I'd like to ask anyone who questions Maynard's dedication to the band to just flat out stop. He was active, moving around and dancing and really appeared to be having a good time. He also was hitting notes and sounded stellar. Sure, he wasn't bolting yells all the time, but I don't think anyone expects him to. He was out there giving it his all, and really brought the energy. He had a wine bottle, which I assume was Puscifer, and said "Cheers" and started drinking shortly after Jambi.

We get extended Stinkfist and the show just kept rocking.

From here, Jambi was as per usual. Although Amazing as always.

Vicarious featuring Maynard's megaphone

Eon -> Patient and HOLY SHIT. It sounded spectacular and Maynard killed it! New Visuals and just unreal to know that you're not getting 'just the motions' like many felt from 10k Days. This was a collection of amazing songs from one of the greatest bands ever, and it was so rewarding to feel this way.

"Do you guys believe in Time Travel? I believe in time travel" in the most hick Louisiana accent ever spoken. Then, a 3D Undertow logo came in the video screen and Intolerance saw the light of day! Such an epic song and timeless song. Maynard sounded extraordinary, as did the whole band the entire night.

Schism was up next, which I thought was the lackluster part of the night. The whole show was rocking and this seemed to be the only drag, atleast for me, during the show. I just can't get excited for this song anymore, but that's my fault. They did extend it, and it was obviously enjoyable.. just not as exciting.

46&2 was dope, as usual too. They had video screens come down from the rafters and land behind Justin and Adam, as if to show this creature walking behind them.. really neat.

Then Intermission with the most trippy video and sound I've ever heard in my life. Describing it won't do it justice.. just go see it. This video/intermission > Schism. Just saying.

The band retook the stage and out came Lateralus in all of it's glory. For a moment, I thought this would be the closer as it ended with white lights shining everywhere, almost giving off the illusion of house lights. However, 10 seconds later it got dark and the whispers of "Hey Hey Hey Hey..." came and the entire fucking building just went apeshit. Incredible vibe all night and energy and the band brought it.

Best show ever for me, and I felt like I got a real tool show. Not something scripted, or not a 'this is what we're playing' vibe.. just a big party and energy filled show full of surprises and good times.

Maynardisms:
"For the next 2 hours, you're going to be okay. Everything is going to be okay." which was right after the entire building was having seizures from Third Eye.

After Jambi he had his bottle of wine out and said "Cheers."

Right before Intolerance he said "Y'all believe in time travel? I believe in time travel." In a huge hick accent.
OFFLINE |