View Single Post
Chisoxfan83
06-27-2010, 03:16 PM

Fourth show for me, second best show I have seen, best setlist I have seen.

First of all Wovenhand, was a very good opening act for Tool. They got a really powerful sound from a three piece band and were not what I was expecting (I heard they were even more mellow) I found it funny how they kept drifting in and out of Russian (I hope I'm right) and English from one song to the next. Compared to the two other times I have actually seen an opening band for Tool (Melt Banana and Big Business, both rubbish) I was pleasantly surprised.

Crowd: Totally bizarre. I came with a few people, and one of my friends has unfortunately became wheelchair bound. We had floor seats, and was a little afraid of the show he would see, however he opted against the wheelchair seating for a spot amongst the masses. We were against the crazy back fence, that separated the two GA areas (seriously WTF?) It seemed like two totally different crowds down there to me. Our section seemed to be more of a 'enjoy the music' vibe, a lot of Maynardish dancing by me and the people around us, especially my new buddies I met who were on shrooms... I didn't see any moshing, just general enjoyment, and my buddy in the wheel chair had a good ten feet around him in room and could see the show fairly well... As far as the second GA area? Well that was full of 'hey bro, I cant wait til they play Sober so we can mosh duddeeee' guys and looked like a little more douchebag heavy and full of pits etc.

Visuals: Awesome as always, had a few extra screens to really enjoy the videos, and seeing the awesome lazers for most of the show was incredible. It seems like these improve every time I see them in some context. That being said, the visuals on Third Eye were kinda lame, looked like Windows Media Player, Adam needs to get on those if they are gonna play that song regularly.

Music:
I spoiled Christmas morning, by looking at the setlist in advance, however I see I am pretty much like everyone else in that regard. Third Eye was a first, The Patient was a first, Intolerance was a first.. Intolerance has never been my favorite Tool song, I mean I've always rocked out to the 'lie cheat and steal' bits, but man did it kill live. It just sounded waaay heavier. They sounded totally fluid for 99% of the concert, and I can't even remember when they got out of whack, I think it was somewhere in Stinkfist or Third Eye. Vocals were solid, a little low in the mix, but overall great sound. Everything sounded great, except maybe the jam in Lateralus, it looked like Wovenhand guy didn't know what to do. Incredible closing with Aenima..

Maynard: Seemed fairly social based on the shows I have seen. Cracked a few jokes as mentioned earlier, made a very motivating about the next two hours nothing else mattering. A lot of standard gyrations to the music, maybe not quite as physically active as I have seen him. He also seemed to spend more time then usual outside of his usual silhouette to the visuals... not sure why he forgot a standard thank you at the end of the show though, seemed to run off the stage pretty quick.

Experience: As incredible as expected. After seeing Tool live I can't seem to listen to them as just audio for a long time after, once again I am left with youtube for any future Tool listening. No other band is the music so attached to the live show. Immensely enjoyable, and I imagine I will get to see them again in early 2011... good to know there is a game plan this time, before I have left shows thinking it may be my last
Old 06-27-2010, 03:16 PM   #18
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 06.26.2010 - St. Charles, MO @ Family Arena

Fourth show for me, second best show I have seen, best setlist I have seen.

First of all Wovenhand, was a very good opening act for Tool. They got a really powerful sound from a three piece band and were not what I was expecting (I heard they were even more mellow) I found it funny how they kept drifting in and out of Russian (I hope I'm right) and English from one song to the next. Compared to the two other times I have actually seen an opening band for Tool (Melt Banana and Big Business, both rubbish) I was pleasantly surprised.

Crowd: Totally bizarre. I came with a few people, and one of my friends has unfortunately became wheelchair bound. We had floor seats, and was a little afraid of the show he would see, however he opted against the wheelchair seating for a spot amongst the masses. We were against the crazy back fence, that separated the two GA areas (seriously WTF?) It seemed like two totally different crowds down there to me. Our section seemed to be more of a 'enjoy the music' vibe, a lot of Maynardish dancing by me and the people around us, especially my new buddies I met who were on shrooms... I didn't see any moshing, just general enjoyment, and my buddy in the wheel chair had a good ten feet around him in room and could see the show fairly well... As far as the second GA area? Well that was full of 'hey bro, I cant wait til they play Sober so we can mosh duddeeee' guys and looked like a little more douchebag heavy and full of pits etc.

Visuals: Awesome as always, had a few extra screens to really enjoy the videos, and seeing the awesome lazers for most of the show was incredible. It seems like these improve every time I see them in some context. That being said, the visuals on Third Eye were kinda lame, looked like Windows Media Player, Adam needs to get on those if they are gonna play that song regularly.

Music:
I spoiled Christmas morning, by looking at the setlist in advance, however I see I am pretty much like everyone else in that regard. Third Eye was a first, The Patient was a first, Intolerance was a first.. Intolerance has never been my favorite Tool song, I mean I've always rocked out to the 'lie cheat and steal' bits, but man did it kill live. It just sounded waaay heavier. They sounded totally fluid for 99% of the concert, and I can't even remember when they got out of whack, I think it was somewhere in Stinkfist or Third Eye. Vocals were solid, a little low in the mix, but overall great sound. Everything sounded great, except maybe the jam in Lateralus, it looked like Wovenhand guy didn't know what to do. Incredible closing with Aenima..

Maynard: Seemed fairly social based on the shows I have seen. Cracked a few jokes as mentioned earlier, made a very motivating about the next two hours nothing else mattering. A lot of standard gyrations to the music, maybe not quite as physically active as I have seen him. He also seemed to spend more time then usual outside of his usual silhouette to the visuals... not sure why he forgot a standard thank you at the end of the show though, seemed to run off the stage pretty quick.

Experience: As incredible as expected. After seeing Tool live I can't seem to listen to them as just audio for a long time after, once again I am left with youtube for any future Tool listening. No other band is the music so attached to the live show. Immensely enjoyable, and I imagine I will get to see them again in early 2011... good to know there is a game plan this time, before I have left shows thinking it may be my last
OFFLINE |