View Single Post
davz
08-08-2009, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brohar View Post
I've seen tool 5 times now dating back to 96 and for the first time completely disappointed. Not only did they play nearly the same set as 07, and maynard hides in the back doing nothing, both things I was expecting. But what i cannot understand is why Maynard is so low in the mix and I didnt see him once attempt a high or difficult note. He simply relied on vocal effects to carry out his yells. I thought the crowd was pretty unmoved too, but i couldnt blame them based on the performance. When i saw these guy at ozzfest the first time, they sounded great, maynard was out tearing it up, and every piece of sod in the lawn was in the air flying above a giant mosh pit. What i saw last night was crap. sorry, just my honest opinion.
I partly agree, but mostly because of the mix. Even if Maynard's chords weren't up to snuff, he needed to be present in the mix, which he wasn't. Just disappointed because whenever I go to a tool show I take someone who has never been exposed to tool, and if all they get is the music and can't understand / hear the words, it just becomes another metal show to them. I left halfway through. I dunno, maybe after all of these years I'm growing out of Tool. I'm sure I'll be back, who knows.
Old 08-08-2009, 06:51 AM   #10
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 08.07.09 - Cincinnati, OH @ PNC Pavillion

Quote:
Originally Posted by brohar View Post
I've seen tool 5 times now dating back to 96 and for the first time completely disappointed. Not only did they play nearly the same set as 07, and maynard hides in the back doing nothing, both things I was expecting. But what i cannot understand is why Maynard is so low in the mix and I didnt see him once attempt a high or difficult note. He simply relied on vocal effects to carry out his yells. I thought the crowd was pretty unmoved too, but i couldnt blame them based on the performance. When i saw these guy at ozzfest the first time, they sounded great, maynard was out tearing it up, and every piece of sod in the lawn was in the air flying above a giant mosh pit. What i saw last night was crap. sorry, just my honest opinion.
I partly agree, but mostly because of the mix. Even if Maynard's chords weren't up to snuff, he needed to be present in the mix, which he wasn't. Just disappointed because whenever I go to a tool show I take someone who has never been exposed to tool, and if all they get is the music and can't understand / hear the words, it just becomes another metal show to them. I left halfway through. I dunno, maybe after all of these years I'm growing out of Tool. I'm sure I'll be back, who knows.
OFFLINE |