View Single Post
kev1nm
08-03-2009, 05:40 AM

The show was okay. I was in 219, to the left of the stage, and thought that the sound was pretty bad. Everything sounded jumbled together and Maynard often could barely be heard. I was in the first row of 219; when I looked back throughout the show, it seemed that almost everyone else in the section was sitting the entire time.

I've never really liked Rosetta Stoned and think the shows would be better if they either completely replaced the lyrics to this song with something more meaningful or played 2 other songs in its place. It's unfortunate, I think, that a song with such interesting instrumental work has such silly and ridiculous lyrics. For me, the best thing about this song is that together with Lost Keys it gives you plenty of time to take a bathroom break. it also gives you time to get a beer, but unfortunately last night they stopped selling booze before Tool even took the stage!

Maynard didn't seem very interested in the performance, and aside from a few jokes, he would seem to be the most replaceable part of the band at this point. He rushed off of the stage immediately after Vicarious while the rest of the band stayed on for a few minutes.

Vicarious is a poor closer, especially following Lateralus. You have a very inspiring song followed by a song that, I think, is really a way of mocking the fans with its lyrics.

The highlight of the show for me was the extended Schism.

One last point: I was wondering if anybody thought it was ironic that the lighting during Aenima makes the stage seem like "one great big neon distraction".

Anyway, this was an enjoyable show, despite the complaints noted above.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:40 AM   #13
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
Re: 08.02.09 - Manchester, NH @ Verizon Wireless Arena

The show was okay. I was in 219, to the left of the stage, and thought that the sound was pretty bad. Everything sounded jumbled together and Maynard often could barely be heard. I was in the first row of 219; when I looked back throughout the show, it seemed that almost everyone else in the section was sitting the entire time.

I've never really liked Rosetta Stoned and think the shows would be better if they either completely replaced the lyrics to this song with something more meaningful or played 2 other songs in its place. It's unfortunate, I think, that a song with such interesting instrumental work has such silly and ridiculous lyrics. For me, the best thing about this song is that together with Lost Keys it gives you plenty of time to take a bathroom break. it also gives you time to get a beer, but unfortunately last night they stopped selling booze before Tool even took the stage!

Maynard didn't seem very interested in the performance, and aside from a few jokes, he would seem to be the most replaceable part of the band at this point. He rushed off of the stage immediately after Vicarious while the rest of the band stayed on for a few minutes.

Vicarious is a poor closer, especially following Lateralus. You have a very inspiring song followed by a song that, I think, is really a way of mocking the fans with its lyrics.

The highlight of the show for me was the extended Schism.

One last point: I was wondering if anybody thought it was ironic that the lighting during Aenima makes the stage seem like "one great big neon distraction".

Anyway, this was an enjoyable show, despite the complaints noted above.
OFFLINE |