View Single Post
ChachiTron5000
07-21-2009, 05:23 PM

I am seriously conflicted about this one.

This was my 18th Tool show, going all the way back to '93. From Poughkeepsie to New Orleans to Denver (I'm from eastern Iowa), I've always been willing to go the distance for these guys. I drove 12+ hours each way to get to this show. Tool has been, and always will be one of the greatest inspirations in my life, and I can't thank them enough for what they have given to me.

The energy at the show was great. The crowd was great- I've been impressed with the Denver folks both times I've been there. Kudos to you all.

This was my fiancee's first Tool show. I've tried in vain to explain to her the power and majesty of the live Tool experience. She was blown away. There is something very intangible and special about this experience, and she felt it too. She described it as 'the coolest show I've ever seen.'

On a selfish note, all I really wanted out of this night was to hold her close to me during Wings/10,000 Days. To feel the power of that piece move through us and bring us closer together. After going through some miserable personal shit right before the '06/'07 dates that I caught... I just wanted to share that with someone that I love, now that I'm a position to do so. If you saw that piece when they did it last, I think you will understand. It truly was remarkable.

But...

I understand that it's not up to me to pick my dream set list.

I understand that it was a festival and the time frames were shorter (although apparently that's not really the issue here, after reading the SLC reviews).

I understand that there is a high level of production and coordination involved with the quality of performance that they do. They can't just 'wing it', haha.

I understand that Maynard may have personal reservations about doing Wings. It's obviously a profoundly personal piece.

I understand that they don't have a new album to support, or any new material to showcase, for that matter.

What I just can not understand is the complete regurgitation that made up this set list. It simply boggles my mind.

I am not ungrateful; I love this band and everything they do. As far as I'm concerned, they do it better than any other band I've seen, and I've been lucky enough to see a lot of great bands. And this was another great show by my favorite band.

But, in spite of that... Here I sit, seriously contemplating just skipping Chicago, which is practically a hometown show for me. Last week I would have thought that impossible.

Quote:
I felt like I was caught in some kind of fucked up Nietzschean eternal recurrance joke by the band.
Too funny, and sadly, too true.

"Something kind of sad about the way things have grown to be", indeed.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:23 PM   #38
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 07.18.09 - Denver, CO @ Mile High Fest

I am seriously conflicted about this one.

This was my 18th Tool show, going all the way back to '93. From Poughkeepsie to New Orleans to Denver (I'm from eastern Iowa), I've always been willing to go the distance for these guys. I drove 12+ hours each way to get to this show. Tool has been, and always will be one of the greatest inspirations in my life, and I can't thank them enough for what they have given to me.

The energy at the show was great. The crowd was great- I've been impressed with the Denver folks both times I've been there. Kudos to you all.

This was my fiancee's first Tool show. I've tried in vain to explain to her the power and majesty of the live Tool experience. She was blown away. There is something very intangible and special about this experience, and she felt it too. She described it as 'the coolest show I've ever seen.'

On a selfish note, all I really wanted out of this night was to hold her close to me during Wings/10,000 Days. To feel the power of that piece move through us and bring us closer together. After going through some miserable personal shit right before the '06/'07 dates that I caught... I just wanted to share that with someone that I love, now that I'm a position to do so. If you saw that piece when they did it last, I think you will understand. It truly was remarkable.

But...

I understand that it's not up to me to pick my dream set list.

I understand that it was a festival and the time frames were shorter (although apparently that's not really the issue here, after reading the SLC reviews).

I understand that there is a high level of production and coordination involved with the quality of performance that they do. They can't just 'wing it', haha.

I understand that Maynard may have personal reservations about doing Wings. It's obviously a profoundly personal piece.

I understand that they don't have a new album to support, or any new material to showcase, for that matter.

What I just can not understand is the complete regurgitation that made up this set list. It simply boggles my mind.

I am not ungrateful; I love this band and everything they do. As far as I'm concerned, they do it better than any other band I've seen, and I've been lucky enough to see a lot of great bands. And this was another great show by my favorite band.

But, in spite of that... Here I sit, seriously contemplating just skipping Chicago, which is practically a hometown show for me. Last week I would have thought that impossible.

Quote:
I felt like I was caught in some kind of fucked up Nietzschean eternal recurrance joke by the band.
Too funny, and sadly, too true.

"Something kind of sad about the way things have grown to be", indeed.
OFFLINE |