View Single Post
MileHiCarbs
07-20-2009, 11:48 AM

Many have alluded to this in previous posts but the simple fact is they were not ready to play this show. It was the worst Tool show I have ever seen or imagined I could see. Wineard was no where close to being able to sing even their most standard setlist. He kept pulling off notes and had no intention of letting loose for fear of his voice cracking after 2 years of not exercising it. There was obviously not much rehearsal or time put in prior to this show. No doubt the band will admit this. Not a suprise due to the wine tour and everyone else doing there own thing over the past year and months. Wineard's voice was giving out half way through the 10k days tour, everybody complained about same setlist back then too. Being away for two years with no reason to practice just made it worse.

I can understand bad vocals but the biggest suprise was the how the overall sound just plain sucked compared to anything I've ever heard at a Tool concert. One thing I had always come to expect was great sound and the ability of sound guy to turn up the bass, guitar, drums, and vocals at the right time. This did not happen. Worst sound ever. Seemed like the wind was blowing the sounds around and it never came out right, very inconsistent the whole show. I was right next to the soundboard to the left, which is usually a great spot for for any show, but suprisingly it was awful. I was in same spot for Incubus and they sounded crisp and clear so go figure.

Botton line is this is a basic, nothing new, unrehearsed, play it as safe as possible Tool show/tour. Very obvious the band played extended intros and Flood to kill as much time as possible so Wineard could sing as little as possible.

Maybe it will clean up as they play more and more over the next couple weeks but prepare yourself, it WILL be substandard.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:48 AM   #32
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 07.18.09 - Denver, CO @ Mile High Fest

Many have alluded to this in previous posts but the simple fact is they were not ready to play this show. It was the worst Tool show I have ever seen or imagined I could see. Wineard was no where close to being able to sing even their most standard setlist. He kept pulling off notes and had no intention of letting loose for fear of his voice cracking after 2 years of not exercising it. There was obviously not much rehearsal or time put in prior to this show. No doubt the band will admit this. Not a suprise due to the wine tour and everyone else doing there own thing over the past year and months. Wineard's voice was giving out half way through the 10k days tour, everybody complained about same setlist back then too. Being away for two years with no reason to practice just made it worse.

I can understand bad vocals but the biggest suprise was the how the overall sound just plain sucked compared to anything I've ever heard at a Tool concert. One thing I had always come to expect was great sound and the ability of sound guy to turn up the bass, guitar, drums, and vocals at the right time. This did not happen. Worst sound ever. Seemed like the wind was blowing the sounds around and it never came out right, very inconsistent the whole show. I was right next to the soundboard to the left, which is usually a great spot for for any show, but suprisingly it was awful. I was in same spot for Incubus and they sounded crisp and clear so go figure.

Botton line is this is a basic, nothing new, unrehearsed, play it as safe as possible Tool show/tour. Very obvious the band played extended intros and Flood to kill as much time as possible so Wineard could sing as little as possible.

Maybe it will clean up as they play more and more over the next couple weeks but prepare yourself, it WILL be substandard.
OFFLINE |