View Single Post
kanaduh
07-18-2009, 09:56 PM

Just got back from the show.

I will get this out of the way immediately, because I know everyone is going to say the same thing again and again: The setlist was disapointing. The EXACT same setlist as the 2007 tour, minus wings+10 000.

However, this was the ONLY down side of the night. And this is a festival date, remember, so tomorrow night I expect a varied setlist.

Tool could play the exact same setlist every single show for years and I would still be going to them.

Lights went off, and adam/justin take the stage in curiously all-white clothing, with DC taking his usual position. I could tell Adam was waiting to start Jambi because he was playing the same "intro" notes before the song starts that he did in the previous tour. He kept waiting though, and looked around because maynard wasn't on stage yet. a minute or so later he shows up and Jambi starts. From this point on I was expecting the same setlist as last tour, and this proved to be true.
Stinkfist - Extended. Always kicks ass live.
46+2 - Danny is a monster. The breakdown at the end was intense and the crowd really got into it.

This is a good chance to mention the highlight of the night: The visuals!
Although the setlist is the same, quite a few significant changes to the visual/stage show this tour. There is a circular astrological symbol of some sort (i believe this picture was posted on toolband) hanging from the lights the entire show. More on this in a sec.
LASERS. Rosetta Stoned was the best song of the night.
In the previous tour, the started using the lasers in the wings for marie intro, slowly building them up. This time, in the middle of Rosetta Stoned right after "God Damn. Shit the bed!" before the 4 minute breakdown/instrumental, the lasers explode. Seriously. Kudos to the lighting team and Junior for a fucking phenominal job once again. I could make this entire review entirely about the lighting and visuals.

Flood was great, as always. Lateralus was a highlight, and they let a guest drummer from another band at the festival do the duet with DC. However, maybe it's just me, but this guy was very shy and was not that great. Then he ran away off the stage before Lateralus ended and Maynard kind of gave him a wave and "wtf?" look. Someone else can verify this.

Also worth noting about this show: Maynard. He's back.
Quite a few maynardisms, most of which other people will post.
"good evening, naked people"

At some point in either Flood or Lateralus, he left the stage for 5 minutes or so, then ran back in the middle of a song - wearing only his underwear and leggings. This was quite comical, and he seemed very into it.

During Lateralus when DC and the guest drummer were doing the breakdown, maynard started singing the "I embrace my..." section before they were finished the drum-mash. It seemed like some sort of mistake for sure, because he was singing as DC was going bonanzo on his drums. Nonetheless, with a near-naked maynard and clearly improvizing band, it made for a unique version of Lateralus.

Before Lateralus, all 4 members stood at the front of the stage side by side and did not move. At all. It was something you had to see, and I hope they do it again. For a good 2 minutes, the entire band standing to attention like soldiers while the audience went crazy. I thought it was neat.

Overall, if you discount the setlist issues, this was an AWESOME show.

I hope the rest of the reviewers mention the many positive and unique things we saw today, besides just bitching about the setlist.

Also funny story: When I was at the airport in Toronto, I gave the US customs officer my passport/boarding pass. This is what happened:

US Border Guard: Where are you going
Me: Denver, CO
US Border Guard: Why?
Me: A concert
US Border Guard: What concert?
Me: Tool
US Border Guard: Oh! I saw them back in 2001 on the Lateralus tour! I remember the lead singer was dressed all weird or something. It was a cool show. Enjoy your trip! *stamps all my documents*

Hah! Great to know being a Tool fan makes me a trusted foreigner!

Peace out, folks..

Do it all again tomorrow night.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:56 PM   #2
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 45
Re: 08.18.09 - Denver, CO @ Mile High Fest

Just got back from the show.

I will get this out of the way immediately, because I know everyone is going to say the same thing again and again: The setlist was disapointing. The EXACT same setlist as the 2007 tour, minus wings+10 000.

However, this was the ONLY down side of the night. And this is a festival date, remember, so tomorrow night I expect a varied setlist.

Tool could play the exact same setlist every single show for years and I would still be going to them.

Lights went off, and adam/justin take the stage in curiously all-white clothing, with DC taking his usual position. I could tell Adam was waiting to start Jambi because he was playing the same "intro" notes before the song starts that he did in the previous tour. He kept waiting though, and looked around because maynard wasn't on stage yet. a minute or so later he shows up and Jambi starts. From this point on I was expecting the same setlist as last tour, and this proved to be true.
Stinkfist - Extended. Always kicks ass live.
46+2 - Danny is a monster. The breakdown at the end was intense and the crowd really got into it.

This is a good chance to mention the highlight of the night: The visuals!
Although the setlist is the same, quite a few significant changes to the visual/stage show this tour. There is a circular astrological symbol of some sort (i believe this picture was posted on toolband) hanging from the lights the entire show. More on this in a sec.
LASERS. Rosetta Stoned was the best song of the night.
In the previous tour, the started using the lasers in the wings for marie intro, slowly building them up. This time, in the middle of Rosetta Stoned right after "God Damn. Shit the bed!" before the 4 minute breakdown/instrumental, the lasers explode. Seriously. Kudos to the lighting team and Junior for a fucking phenominal job once again. I could make this entire review entirely about the lighting and visuals.

Flood was great, as always. Lateralus was a highlight, and they let a guest drummer from another band at the festival do the duet with DC. However, maybe it's just me, but this guy was very shy and was not that great. Then he ran away off the stage before Lateralus ended and Maynard kind of gave him a wave and "wtf?" look. Someone else can verify this.

Also worth noting about this show: Maynard. He's back.
Quite a few maynardisms, most of which other people will post.
"good evening, naked people"

At some point in either Flood or Lateralus, he left the stage for 5 minutes or so, then ran back in the middle of a song - wearing only his underwear and leggings. This was quite comical, and he seemed very into it.

During Lateralus when DC and the guest drummer were doing the breakdown, maynard started singing the "I embrace my..." section before they were finished the drum-mash. It seemed like some sort of mistake for sure, because he was singing as DC was going bonanzo on his drums. Nonetheless, with a near-naked maynard and clearly improvizing band, it made for a unique version of Lateralus.

Before Lateralus, all 4 members stood at the front of the stage side by side and did not move. At all. It was something you had to see, and I hope they do it again. For a good 2 minutes, the entire band standing to attention like soldiers while the audience went crazy. I thought it was neat.

Overall, if you discount the setlist issues, this was an AWESOME show.

I hope the rest of the reviewers mention the many positive and unique things we saw today, besides just bitching about the setlist.

Also funny story: When I was at the airport in Toronto, I gave the US customs officer my passport/boarding pass. This is what happened:

US Border Guard: Where are you going
Me: Denver, CO
US Border Guard: Why?
Me: A concert
US Border Guard: What concert?
Me: Tool
US Border Guard: Oh! I saw them back in 2001 on the Lateralus tour! I remember the lead singer was dressed all weird or something. It was a cool show. Enjoy your trip! *stamps all my documents*

Hah! Great to know being a Tool fan makes me a trusted foreigner!

Peace out, folks..

Do it all again tomorrow night.