View Single Post
Old 01-28-2007, 05:30 PM   #12
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 15
Re: 2007/01/28 - Melbourne, AUS - Princes Park

First Tool show in four and a half years (and only my second overall) and I was pretty disappointed. I got into the D barrier at about 7 after queuing for almost an hour and watched the second half of Jet (for positioning purposes I assure you). Got to about 15-20 rows directly in front and listened to Muse (who I guess provided alright background music).

Anyway, the disappointment about the show for me starts and ends with the terrible bunch of morons who make up the massive majority of Tool's fans here in Melbourne. No, they are not just 'BDO dickheads' as most of them were constantly talking about how much they can't wait for Wednesday. Shoving and crushing, plus screaming the lyrics to every song and drowning out the one guy who could ACTUALLY sing ruined quite a few songs in my opinion. Some people where I was just wanted to listen and dance and what not but the majority were complete shitheads.

Having had my massive bitch though, I have to say the band sounded great on most songs. Swamp Song, Jambi, and the final three were all exceptionally good. Maynard fucked with the vocal timing on certain songs which threw the shitheads even more out of time. Saw the laser pointer on him during Lateralus which was another example of the intelligence level of this crowd. Adam was in great form. I was directly in front of him for the second half and I loved the talk-box solo. The gong in Lateralus was great! Shook the ground! The ambient-jam-intro to Vicarious was also cool though again, people think that anything not at high volumes means start talking really loudly and yelling what song they want to hear. I was really pleasantly surprised by the quality of the visuals and the laser, which had got a lot of crap recently. I thought they were spot on. I got the first hand to one of the drum sticks but missed it. I was pretty cut at myself for that…

Overall the crowd obviously brought down my enjoyment significantly so I’m going to hang back on Wednesday and just enjoy the music without having to deal with that sort of people again.
OFFLINE |