View Single Post
facelessDrone
06-08-2007, 07:17 AM

This was my 3rd show, and wow. Just wow. I really feel sorry for anyone who's been disappointed by shows on this tour; we must be watching different concerts, because last night was phenomenal.

First off, the only remotely bad part: I thought the mixing was off at times. At the beginning of Schism, I couldn't hear the first 3 notes of Justin's riff that he plays, while the last 2 were perfectly clear; did anyone else notice this? At various parts the vocals might have been too low, or the guitar too high, etc.

At any rate, it didn't detract at all from the experience. The whole band was tight. Jambi was a little slower than the album version; love the heavy interlude in the middle of the song. Stinkfist was extended, love that too. Rosetta Stoned rocked just as hard as I remember it from the last 2 shows. Watching Danny play a different rhythm with each limb, arms and legs all going different speeds, well...awesome, even from where I sat (21U). PUSHIT. Yes. Can't express how good it felt to wait breathlessly while they played the synth intro, and then hear those first few notes and realize what they were playing.

I was looking forward to Pushit so much that I forgot how amazing Wings is live. You can really tell they put forth a tremendous amount of effort toward making this song an experience. The way the visuals and music complement each other gave this song a lot of ambience and emotion; it was a real treat. Lasers and smoke simulating clouds overhead, lightning flashes...it all really helped make the song feel special. "It's time for me to let you go..." As hard as it is to rate my favorite parts of the night, the drum duel in Lateralus was probably #1. Danny really is a virtuoso; off-time beats, limb independence, crazy solos, he owns it all.

Maynard seemed very enthusiastic about the show. He hit all the notes, sang every line (save for "Vicariously I...", comedic value? =D), danced around a good bit. Said something about Richmond and Virginia right after Jambi; I couldn't quite make it out, but something like "Virginia hang like sleeve of wizard" sounds about right. He's made Borat references in previous shows, so I wouldn't be surprised. I was really impressed with how good the crowd was; every time I looked at the floor area, I didn't see any moshing or crazy shenanigans, just people watching intently. Right before Vicarious, Maynard thanked us all for that, this is about as well as I can remember it:

"Thank you very much....we've played these songs a million times, but it still takes us to a dark place...it takes a lot out of you...it takes a lot of time, a lot of energy, and it makes it a lot easier when you're not taking pictures with those silly cameras (?)...this it the easiest it's been so far, you've all been great and made it really easy for us, thank you very much....thank you, we'll be back very soon." It really was heartfelt, another highlight of the night.

I think this was the best experience I've had at any concert, including the other 2 Tool shows. From the music, visuals, atmosphere, and energy of the band, I really felt like I got to be part of something special. Like they were sharing an experience with us rather than just performing songs. Makes me want to buy tickets for the Winston-Salem show and make the drive to NC. It almost could be a farewell tour (GOD I HOPE NOT), if not for the "we'll be back very soon."

On the 1 : 1,000,000 chance that Tool, in whole or in part, is reading this thread...thanks guys. Thanks for the experience, it's one that I certainly won't forget. Thanks for all the heart and effort you put into all of it, it definitely shows. Really wish I could thank you guys face to face, but since that's not happening...Thanks. Much thanks.

OH, and...come to Virginia Beach next time? =D I think the acoustics at the Verizon Ampitheater are better than the Coliseum =D
Richmond - Richmond Coliseum. 6-7-07
Old 06-08-2007, 07:17 AM   #15
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 17
Re: 2007/06/07 - Richmond, VA - Richmond Coliseum

This was my 3rd show, and wow. Just wow. I really feel sorry for anyone who's been disappointed by shows on this tour; we must be watching different concerts, because last night was phenomenal.

First off, the only remotely bad part: I thought the mixing was off at times. At the beginning of Schism, I couldn't hear the first 3 notes of Justin's riff that he plays, while the last 2 were perfectly clear; did anyone else notice this? At various parts the vocals might have been too low, or the guitar too high, etc.

At any rate, it didn't detract at all from the experience. The whole band was tight. Jambi was a little slower than the album version; love the heavy interlude in the middle of the song. Stinkfist was extended, love that too. Rosetta Stoned rocked just as hard as I remember it from the last 2 shows. Watching Danny play a different rhythm with each limb, arms and legs all going different speeds, well...awesome, even from where I sat (21U). PUSHIT. Yes. Can't express how good it felt to wait breathlessly while they played the synth intro, and then hear those first few notes and realize what they were playing.

I was looking forward to Pushit so much that I forgot how amazing Wings is live. You can really tell they put forth a tremendous amount of effort toward making this song an experience. The way the visuals and music complement each other gave this song a lot of ambience and emotion; it was a real treat. Lasers and smoke simulating clouds overhead, lightning flashes...it all really helped make the song feel special. "It's time for me to let you go..." As hard as it is to rate my favorite parts of the night, the drum duel in Lateralus was probably #1. Danny really is a virtuoso; off-time beats, limb independence, crazy solos, he owns it all.

Maynard seemed very enthusiastic about the show. He hit all the notes, sang every line (save for "Vicariously I...", comedic value? =D), danced around a good bit. Said something about Richmond and Virginia right after Jambi; I couldn't quite make it out, but something like "Virginia hang like sleeve of wizard" sounds about right. He's made Borat references in previous shows, so I wouldn't be surprised. I was really impressed with how good the crowd was; every time I looked at the floor area, I didn't see any moshing or crazy shenanigans, just people watching intently. Right before Vicarious, Maynard thanked us all for that, this is about as well as I can remember it:

"Thank you very much....we've played these songs a million times, but it still takes us to a dark place...it takes a lot out of you...it takes a lot of time, a lot of energy, and it makes it a lot easier when you're not taking pictures with those silly cameras (?)...this it the easiest it's been so far, you've all been great and made it really easy for us, thank you very much....thank you, we'll be back very soon." It really was heartfelt, another highlight of the night.

I think this was the best experience I've had at any concert, including the other 2 Tool shows. From the music, visuals, atmosphere, and energy of the band, I really felt like I got to be part of something special. Like they were sharing an experience with us rather than just performing songs. Makes me want to buy tickets for the Winston-Salem show and make the drive to NC. It almost could be a farewell tour (GOD I HOPE NOT), if not for the "we'll be back very soon."

On the 1 : 1,000,000 chance that Tool, in whole or in part, is reading this thread...thanks guys. Thanks for the experience, it's one that I certainly won't forget. Thanks for all the heart and effort you put into all of it, it definitely shows. Really wish I could thank you guys face to face, but since that's not happening...Thanks. Much thanks.

OH, and...come to Virginia Beach next time? =D I think the acoustics at the Verizon Ampitheater are better than the Coliseum =D
Richmond - Richmond Coliseum. 6-7-07
OFFLINE |