View Single Post
Old 09-25-2006, 06:23 AM   #66
Syd
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 8
Re: 2006/09/22 - Detroit, MI - Palace of Auburn Hills

I rate my concert experience as 4 out of 5 stars. Overall, it was a fun night and I enjoyed watching the band perform. My favorite songs of the night were: Jambi and Wings 1 & 2, and Rosetta Stoned. I thought they really put out a lot of positive energy for these songs. Wings live was amazing – very powerful.

So why not 5 stars? Well, 1) I was on the floor. I bought my tickets (on ebay) before the tour started and didn’t have the benefit of the reviews. As soon as I read that it was a stage set up for the raised seats and the higher levels, I was worried, but then I figured I wouldn’t care too much because I wasn’t there for the stage show, but for the band. And had I been REALLY close, I am sure this would have been the truth. But I was kind of center of the floor a little to the left, and I could see Maynard and Adam the whole time but it wasn’t like I could see the expressions on their faces or something. So, it was a little bit of a bummer that the stage was so set up for those not on the floor. When you read these reviews and people try to describe how low the screens are, you can’t really get it til you are there – it is really a strange set up. 2) From where I was, the sound was muddy during most of the show. 3) I didn’t really feel the energy on “radio” songs and even some of the other older ones. The rest of the crowd seemed to, people went nuts for the radio tunes, but I don’t know…I couldn’t help but think they are bored of them. It surprised me that all my favorites of the night were from the newest album, because I’ve been listening to Tool since early nineties when Undertow was released. But the new songs were the ones that Maynard really gave it his all for. His voice sounded great for someone who has been sick, but towards the end there were a few times he didn’t sing lines. I couldn't tell if he was trying to get the audience to sing or not. Audience didn't get it if so. I really think this set list would probably be longer by a song or two if he was feeling better. I think later on they are going to get back a couple of songs that got dropped when Wings was added.

My question for others – did anyone else wonder what was up with Maynard’s elbow? Why the bandana around it all night? I wondered if maybe he was hurt? For those that saw the next show, was he still wearing it?

I was surprised Maynard did the “encourage the crowd to yet” bit. Not really his usual style – but holy crap – it did get louder.

I’m glad I went, but I won’t be checking them out if they come back to Michigan on this same tour unless I know ahead of time the set list is going to be different and I will get off the floor (unless I can get the first few rows of course!)