Thread: Devo "H" Keenan
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2002, 10:35 AM   #1
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
Devo "H" Keenan

Most people relate H. to relationships, that's great all songs are open for interpretation. I think H. is much deeper, and is connected to Pushit, and Prison Sex.
I have read somewhere, I really don't remember where, that Maynards son's name is Devo H. Keenan, his middle name being H and nothing else. and that the song H. has to do with maynard stopping the abusive cycle, "do unto others what has been done to you." like in prison sex. "what's coming through is alive, whats holding up is a mirror." mirror reffering to maynard's son Devo and he see's himself in Devo. "my blood before me begs me open up my heart again." his blood before him being Devo, and opening up his heart again, which is empathy because maynard has been the abused one, and he is opening up his heart again to Devo after it has been closed from abuse.
"they're both totally void of hate, but killing me just the same." Both being void of hate is Devo and his wife, and it hurts him when he's at the point of hurting and stops himself because he wants to sop the cycle of abuse.
"the snake behind him" would be his past which is filled with abuse and it's "Venomous voice, tempts me, drains me, bleeds me, leaves me cracked and empty." obviously doing unto others tempts him from his past and it hurts him.
I think this song also deals with lacrymology, which is the study of tears, and it is said that crying helps deal with emotional pain. "I cuold have cried then, I should have cried then"
This whole "conflict" of Good VS Evil is what maynard has reffered to as the cartoon devil and angel on his shoulder, or also known in psychology as the id, the ego, and the superego. Maynard feels this "conflict" "coming over like a storm again." Maynard is "too coonected to Devo to slip away, to fade away" to continue the cycle on Devo. And "days away he feels Devo touching him and changing him, once more, and conciderately kill him"
The storm then drowns the snake, and as he looks in the eyes of Devo his fear begins to fade, recalling all of the times he has died and will die, it's alright because its for Devo.
Again, I don't remember where I read this. Tool writes songs vagely so they can relate to many people and something to them.

thanks for your time, and TOOL rules.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote