View Single Post
Old 08-19-2003, 02:53 PM   #8
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Hrmmm...

Maynard said in an interview that it was about his son. It's probably about him coming to grips with and adapting to being a father. He possibly questions the things that have a hold on him. Maybe he wonders about the validity of his mental polarity. Free thinkers usually explore temporary belief systems to come to a better understanding of what spirituality means to them. I am no guru on the subject, obviously, but Robert Anton Wilson describes in the Cosmic Trigger forwards that belief is the death of intelligence. That it creates a "reality tunnel". So agnostics usually shift their thinking processes so that they wont get trapped in these needles of thought.

But it still traps them all the same...

This path of free thought opens yourself up to many things. Good and bad. It requires an intelligent person with a high tolerance for all kinds of pain depending on the process. People get caught in this horror and usually hit bottom. They become spiritually bankrupt and they start writing checks their ass cant cash. It drives them deeper and deeper and, if they ever make it out, they usually wake up dead to the world and dont know who the hell they are and dont give a fuck for that matter. Free thought is a wonderful thing. But sometimes I dont think the consequences are taken as seriously as they should be. There's a lot of shit out there waitin for you, heh.

The way I interpret this is that it's hard not to have moments of Jiminy Cricket when you have a divine gift bestowed upon you. But the path he has chose is breathing down his neck. He seems to be fighting with the fact that the path he walks is separating him from his son. I picture Maynard crawling through darkness, smoke and mirrors to get to him.

This song makes me question my own mental polarity. I often wonder if I will have what it takes to make it out the other side. Frustrating... but the path I choose all the same. I'll prolly have different thoughts on it tomorrow.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote