View Single Post
Old 08-13-2003, 04:51 PM   #4
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looque
What do you make of the other imagery in the song, such as the opening of the song: "What's coming through is alive. What's holding up is a mirror." Additionally, how do you explain the line "what's singing songs is a snake looking to turn this piss to wine?" The lyrics imply that the snake is what is to turn the piss to wine, and by your interpretation, the snake is symbolic of the devil. While the line may share an obvious concept with the miracle performed by Jesus where he turned water into wine, perhaps it is only used only as metaphor in the song and not meant to be an explicit reference and replay of the miracle.
Well, I said before, I haven't been able to work out the kinks yet for this hypothesis. As for the phase, "...holding up is a mirror." I took it as a metaphor. A mirror can be a symbol of self-reflection, and I can only assume that Jesus had to reflect and truly contemplate the Devil's temptation. According to christian beliefs, Satan supposedly tempts you to do sin. Can you only imagine how completely difficult it is to resist the Devil when he claims he will give you kingdoms to conquer? . We can barely fight the temptations to cheat, steal, and lie. Of course, Jesus would have to think about things before he refuses Lucifer's false promises. Remember, Jesus was human, too.

The first couple of lines of this song are very tricky and difficult to link with my Jesus hypothesis

"What's coming through is alive...
What's holding up is a mirror.
What's singing songs is a snake looking to turn my piss to wine
They're both totally void of hate
but killing me just the same"

Maynard, like many of his songs, is very vague in his lyrics. He doesn't specify what exactly is alive, etc. At first, I thought Maynard was describing three different things: something alive, a mirror, and a snake. But he states, "THEY'RE BOTH" So obviously, Maynard is only describing two different things.

Now, I wasn't sure what two things are void of hate. When he states, "killing me just the same" I took it as an obvious reference to Jesus' crucifixition.

As for the lyrics, "looking to turn my piss to wine" I think you are correct about it just being a metaphor because Satan had no participation in the Wedding of Cana miracle, let alone any one of Jesus' miracles. Perhaps--and I'm not too adamant on this idea--the snake isn't necessarily turning this piss to wine. Yet, maybe he is tempting Jesus to perform a miracle, which actually happened at the Temptation of Jesus in the Desert:

"The tempter approached and said to him [Jesus], "If you are the Son of God, command these stones become loaves of bread." -Matthew 4:3