View Single Post
Thirdeye11
08-07-2009, 07:33 AM

Well I guess my perspective is different than everyone else. I have seen Tool 11 times now, and for me Tool shows have gone through about 4 stages.

1990-1993 - Raw and visceral, everyone pretty fucked up on drugs, Maynard screaming his head off (in a good way) but pretty disconnected from everyone and everything, Danny a solid and evolving prog rock drummer plays solid all the time, Adam playing steadfast guitar as always and Paul rocking out as per usual.

1994-1998 - Tool began realizing their music was artwork. Danny pushed his drumming skills extremely far with the help of teachers like Aloke Dutta and the band started doing some truly revolutionary things live that incorporated the fan through covers, rare alternate versions of songs, and very obscure and cool visuals. Danny upped his game once again, Maynard was at his best during this time. Raw and powerful, writhing all over the place, his vocal power was at its strongest and range was still good. When Justin joined he was pretty reserved, but a solid replacement for Paul, and Adam was still the same old Adam.

1999-2002 - Lateralus came out and Tool experimented with new Alex Grey artwork. They eliminated the more obscure visuals, Maynard began facing away from the crowd tucked away on an odd platform but his voice was still pretty solid. Danny came out with his most creative drum work yet and pushed his skills to another level. Adam was the same old Adam and Justin finally came out of his shell writing some truly original bass lines and performing some great work live.

2003-Present - The band evolved in several ways, but mostly their visuals on stage. Basically they started having the funds to do things visually the way things they wanted to all along. They have the money to pay the right people to give a really impressive show visually. They play the same setlist every night, because it's a theatrical performance and they want to "just get it right" every night. Maynard's vocal range is deteriorating, he has no scream to speak of, Danny has gotten off the charts better, Justin is more of a madman than ever and plays fantastic shows, and we once again have the same old Adam.

I guess for me the biggest emotional connection to Tool all along has been Maynard. His voice is unique, unlike any other rock singer and his visceral scream always put me in a state of euphoria. He just doesn't have that anymore so I've lost some of my connection to the band. Yes Adam is the same old Adam, and Justin and Danny have evolved greatly as have the visuals, but Maynard is up there doing the same shit every day and very obviously doesn't seem to care. He doesn't sing the high part of Vicarious anymore (maybe he can't) but it's by far the best part of that song for me. I agree with what others have said, drop the songs down a half or whole step so he can sing the entire thing and not cheapen the performance. Everyone else is up there doing their thing, and Maynard isn't doing his part.

Tool has been my favorite band for nearly 20 years, and I'm simply not feeling them live like I used to. Justin said in an interview with Rolling Stone several months ago that this tour the band would bring back some old songs, rework some things, and play some covers on this tour. Where is all of that? The biggest and most exciting part of the live show is being SURPRISED. I intentionally did NOT read the reviews until I saw this year's show, but I am disappointed I didn't. I wouldn't have paid $250 to a scalper for a pit ticket if I'd known I would get a setlist from 2006.

Really.
Fucking.
Disappointed.

Sorry if I've offended someone because I disagree with your opinion and assessment that this was a mind-blowing Tool performance, but Maynard's general lack of interest has made me feel the same way.

-Chad

Last edited by Thirdeye11; 08-07-2009 at 07:38 AM..
Old 08-07-2009, 07:33 AM   #73
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 07.25.09 - Dallas, TX @ Nokia Theatre (Grand Prairie)

Well I guess my perspective is different than everyone else. I have seen Tool 11 times now, and for me Tool shows have gone through about 4 stages.

1990-1993 - Raw and visceral, everyone pretty fucked up on drugs, Maynard screaming his head off (in a good way) but pretty disconnected from everyone and everything, Danny a solid and evolving prog rock drummer plays solid all the time, Adam playing steadfast guitar as always and Paul rocking out as per usual.

1994-1998 - Tool began realizing their music was artwork. Danny pushed his drumming skills extremely far with the help of teachers like Aloke Dutta and the band started doing some truly revolutionary things live that incorporated the fan through covers, rare alternate versions of songs, and very obscure and cool visuals. Danny upped his game once again, Maynard was at his best during this time. Raw and powerful, writhing all over the place, his vocal power was at its strongest and range was still good. When Justin joined he was pretty reserved, but a solid replacement for Paul, and Adam was still the same old Adam.

1999-2002 - Lateralus came out and Tool experimented with new Alex Grey artwork. They eliminated the more obscure visuals, Maynard began facing away from the crowd tucked away on an odd platform but his voice was still pretty solid. Danny came out with his most creative drum work yet and pushed his skills to another level. Adam was the same old Adam and Justin finally came out of his shell writing some truly original bass lines and performing some great work live.

2003-Present - The band evolved in several ways, but mostly their visuals on stage. Basically they started having the funds to do things visually the way things they wanted to all along. They have the money to pay the right people to give a really impressive show visually. They play the same setlist every night, because it's a theatrical performance and they want to "just get it right" every night. Maynard's vocal range is deteriorating, he has no scream to speak of, Danny has gotten off the charts better, Justin is more of a madman than ever and plays fantastic shows, and we once again have the same old Adam.

I guess for me the biggest emotional connection to Tool all along has been Maynard. His voice is unique, unlike any other rock singer and his visceral scream always put me in a state of euphoria. He just doesn't have that anymore so I've lost some of my connection to the band. Yes Adam is the same old Adam, and Justin and Danny have evolved greatly as have the visuals, but Maynard is up there doing the same shit every day and very obviously doesn't seem to care. He doesn't sing the high part of Vicarious anymore (maybe he can't) but it's by far the best part of that song for me. I agree with what others have said, drop the songs down a half or whole step so he can sing the entire thing and not cheapen the performance. Everyone else is up there doing their thing, and Maynard isn't doing his part.

Tool has been my favorite band for nearly 20 years, and I'm simply not feeling them live like I used to. Justin said in an interview with Rolling Stone several months ago that this tour the band would bring back some old songs, rework some things, and play some covers on this tour. Where is all of that? The biggest and most exciting part of the live show is being SURPRISED. I intentionally did NOT read the reviews until I saw this year's show, but I am disappointed I didn't. I wouldn't have paid $250 to a scalper for a pit ticket if I'd known I would get a setlist from 2006.

Really.
Fucking.
Disappointed.

Sorry if I've offended someone because I disagree with your opinion and assessment that this was a mind-blowing Tool performance, but Maynard's general lack of interest has made me feel the same way.

-Chad

Last edited by Thirdeye11; 08-07-2009 at 07:38 AM..
OFFLINE |