View Single Post
TOOL_Rules
07-29-2009, 11:06 AM

This was my 19th TOOL concert dating back to 1993 and first show on this mini-tour. It was an excellent show and I only felt bad for Adam with the Vicarious end equipment malfunction. Maynard's ad-lib was hilarious and I, too, hope someone else got a clip of it for us to watch on Youtube. It was classic and will be a remebered moment in TOOL lore for those at the Nokia Center Saturday night. Me and three friends drove from St. Louis for this show and it was well worth the time, effort and money spent. Not to mention the awesome post-show What-A Burger.

I would have loved to have heard what it sounded like in the center of the crowd (we were far right close to the stage section 202 row AA), but from some of the complaints I have read, it probably didn't sound the same in any one row of the place. It sounded fair where we were and I didn't have trouble hearing any parts. Maynard was as into this show as I have ever seen him into anything and I just don't see it as rehearsed or "going through the motions." He loves singing these songs, people, like it or not. He's not just "taking our money." This is true art we're witnessing in a prog-rock environment and there just aren't many bands you can see that will move you in the way that TOOL does, if any. Yes, there were little mess-ups here and there, but overall the Boys were in great form with minimal rehearsal. As for the "85% speed" comment, I can somewhat identify with that, but being a drummer I know there are a TON of subleties in their music that absolutely REQUIRES that these songs not be played too fast. I'd rather see Danny err on the side of caution and get to hear everything than to do what most bands do and rev it up (often too much) in a live environment. I believe it is a testament to Danny's incredible inner meter and the band's ability to stay in his groove. Few bands can play their own shit at record speed, but TOOL does it with insane ease. Flood was awesome!!!!

Folks, I think we heard at least an interlude or two tonight that are snippets of new songs. What I heard was very "Justin" oriented and it sounded very cool. Can't wait to see what they come up with next because spiraling beyond the last three CDs they've done is going to be a challenge at their age. But I'll never doubt them until they prove me wrong. The Tweak Bird drummer was pretty good and did an okay job sparring with Danny, IMO. You could tell he was having the time of his life after the drum soloing getting to play the last half of Lateralus along with the band. It sounded REALLY GOOD with two drummers playing that end part. Danny still pounds, but not quite like he used to. He wisely paces himself so he's not completely spent at the end. He did not play Jambi very hard, but by mid-show he was beating the hell out of the drums and cymbals when necessary. He did some unbelievably quick ad-lib fills in songs that just blew my mind. His hands remain lightning fast despite the ocean incident. I also loved the intermission part where they basically "stood at attention" respecting their audience for 2-2 1/2 minutes. It was classic!! They did not move. Some might consider that an arrogant thing to do, but I thought it was one of the coolest things I have ever seen in hundreds of concerts. I saw them gather on Maynard's riser for intermission a couple of times on the 10K Days tour and loved it, but this was a new twist. Bravo to the band and all the crew for making this a special, memorable night for many. Junior, awesome job as always!! I hope you remain part of their crew until there is no more TOOL.

Last edited by TOOL_Rules; 07-29-2009 at 11:09 AM.. Reason: type-o
Old 07-29-2009, 11:06 AM   #66
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 07.25.09 - Dallas, TX @ Nokia Theatre (Grand Prairie)

This was my 19th TOOL concert dating back to 1993 and first show on this mini-tour. It was an excellent show and I only felt bad for Adam with the Vicarious end equipment malfunction. Maynard's ad-lib was hilarious and I, too, hope someone else got a clip of it for us to watch on Youtube. It was classic and will be a remebered moment in TOOL lore for those at the Nokia Center Saturday night. Me and three friends drove from St. Louis for this show and it was well worth the time, effort and money spent. Not to mention the awesome post-show What-A Burger.

I would have loved to have heard what it sounded like in the center of the crowd (we were far right close to the stage section 202 row AA), but from some of the complaints I have read, it probably didn't sound the same in any one row of the place. It sounded fair where we were and I didn't have trouble hearing any parts. Maynard was as into this show as I have ever seen him into anything and I just don't see it as rehearsed or "going through the motions." He loves singing these songs, people, like it or not. He's not just "taking our money." This is true art we're witnessing in a prog-rock environment and there just aren't many bands you can see that will move you in the way that TOOL does, if any. Yes, there were little mess-ups here and there, but overall the Boys were in great form with minimal rehearsal. As for the "85% speed" comment, I can somewhat identify with that, but being a drummer I know there are a TON of subleties in their music that absolutely REQUIRES that these songs not be played too fast. I'd rather see Danny err on the side of caution and get to hear everything than to do what most bands do and rev it up (often too much) in a live environment. I believe it is a testament to Danny's incredible inner meter and the band's ability to stay in his groove. Few bands can play their own shit at record speed, but TOOL does it with insane ease. Flood was awesome!!!!

Folks, I think we heard at least an interlude or two tonight that are snippets of new songs. What I heard was very "Justin" oriented and it sounded very cool. Can't wait to see what they come up with next because spiraling beyond the last three CDs they've done is going to be a challenge at their age. But I'll never doubt them until they prove me wrong. The Tweak Bird drummer was pretty good and did an okay job sparring with Danny, IMO. You could tell he was having the time of his life after the drum soloing getting to play the last half of Lateralus along with the band. It sounded REALLY GOOD with two drummers playing that end part. Danny still pounds, but not quite like he used to. He wisely paces himself so he's not completely spent at the end. He did not play Jambi very hard, but by mid-show he was beating the hell out of the drums and cymbals when necessary. He did some unbelievably quick ad-lib fills in songs that just blew my mind. His hands remain lightning fast despite the ocean incident. I also loved the intermission part where they basically "stood at attention" respecting their audience for 2-2 1/2 minutes. It was classic!! They did not move. Some might consider that an arrogant thing to do, but I thought it was one of the coolest things I have ever seen in hundreds of concerts. I saw them gather on Maynard's riser for intermission a couple of times on the 10K Days tour and loved it, but this was a new twist. Bravo to the band and all the crew for making this a special, memorable night for many. Junior, awesome job as always!! I hope you remain part of their crew until there is no more TOOL.

Last edited by TOOL_Rules; 07-29-2009 at 11:09 AM.. Reason: type-o
OFFLINE |