View Single Post
junior
07-26-2009, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob82tx View Post
The venue has a great sound system and it was LOUD. You could feel the sound of Danny's drums. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZantheriaN
I knew as soon as they announced the venue, that there were going to be some problems.
I've been to this Nikia countless times, I've seen APC there at least 4! Not to mention Manson, The Mars Volta, and many
Others. THEIR SOUND SYSTEM HAS ALWAYS SUCKED SWEATY DONKEY BALLS! This time there were way too many effects going through
Those under powered pieces of shit.
FYI: The sound system for the Tool show (and probably most of the shows ZantheriaN mentioned) is not the Nokia's. Tool (and most touring rock bands at that level) carry their own PA system. Having been to the Nokia about 8 times with various bands (including APC) I can say that every one of those shows used a sound system that was brought in there by the band, and not a house system of any kind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laddermalice
I think all sound engineers are deaf.
Quite possible. I think the opposite tends to be the exception, but I know a few who aren't deaf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan5656
I paid $200 for a seat in the row directly in front of the sound engineer. I thought the sound at that seat would be as good as any in the Nokia Theater, but I could barely "hear" Maynards vocals, due to what seemed to me was a bad mix. From the posts, it seems like others heard him much more clearly than I did. The sound was so loud, the bass drums vibrated my nostrils. That is not an exaggeration. The sound was LOUD, and I was disappointed that they chose loudness over quality. I couldn't tell you what words Maynard was saying or singing, and I certainly couldn't tell if Adam or Justin was out of sync at any point. Can anyone who has experience with sound engineering at a concert enlighten me on what the goal for the sound is? If loudness was the goal, then they did a good job!
Seems like a legitimate gripe. The biggest problem is that sound people tend to think that the quality of a mix is very 'subjective' and usually ignore all complaints.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:16 PM   #44
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 0
Re: 07.25.09 - Dallas, TX @ Nokia Theatre (Grand Prairie)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob82tx View Post
The venue has a great sound system and it was LOUD. You could feel the sound of Danny's drums. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZantheriaN
I knew as soon as they announced the venue, that there were going to be some problems.
I've been to this Nikia countless times, I've seen APC there at least 4! Not to mention Manson, The Mars Volta, and many
Others. THEIR SOUND SYSTEM HAS ALWAYS SUCKED SWEATY DONKEY BALLS! This time there were way too many effects going through
Those under powered pieces of shit.
FYI: The sound system for the Tool show (and probably most of the shows ZantheriaN mentioned) is not the Nokia's. Tool (and most touring rock bands at that level) carry their own PA system. Having been to the Nokia about 8 times with various bands (including APC) I can say that every one of those shows used a sound system that was brought in there by the band, and not a house system of any kind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laddermalice
I think all sound engineers are deaf.
Quite possible. I think the opposite tends to be the exception, but I know a few who aren't deaf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan5656
I paid $200 for a seat in the row directly in front of the sound engineer. I thought the sound at that seat would be as good as any in the Nokia Theater, but I could barely "hear" Maynards vocals, due to what seemed to me was a bad mix. From the posts, it seems like others heard him much more clearly than I did. The sound was so loud, the bass drums vibrated my nostrils. That is not an exaggeration. The sound was LOUD, and I was disappointed that they chose loudness over quality. I couldn't tell you what words Maynard was saying or singing, and I certainly couldn't tell if Adam or Justin was out of sync at any point. Can anyone who has experience with sound engineering at a concert enlighten me on what the goal for the sound is? If loudness was the goal, then they did a good job!
Seems like a legitimate gripe. The biggest problem is that sound people tend to think that the quality of a mix is very 'subjective' and usually ignore all complaints.
OFFLINE |