View Single Post
AMF
05-15-2006, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandwhite
You're just hearing what you want to hear. Somehow, you got it in your head that there is a meaning to this song being reversed, and clung on to anything that sounded remotely familiar. There may be something to playing this song in reverse, but you'd have to have an unbiased person hear it.
Yup. One of the main pratfalls of people interpreting Tool songs that I find is that sometimes people have a set of thoughts and ideas and think they can apply it to any song because they're already convinced that's what its about. This leads into some of the WAY off-base conclusions people are drawing about some songs here when I'm reading these interpretations. There is a point between analyzing construvtively and "over-analyzing".....they warned us about that in Lateralus, an album chock to the brim with symbolism and mysteries and such. With 10,000 Days there's a lot of trippy stuff for sure, but I don't think they want us to dissect it by tying it down and beating it with a stick. Danny's remark about this being their "blues" of sorts makes me think more that most of the stuff here is based around experience rather than some of the more abstract themes present on Lateralus. Both contain great, rich material to be interpreted, but overdoing it loses the value of the music itself. There must be a balance between being able to critically analyze the music as well as just sheer enjoyment. Tool are a rock/metal band first and foremost, but they give us other things to think about;) The key is to apply it to your own life and make an impact, that's what I think.
Old 05-15-2006, 02:03 PM   #169
AMF
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 31
Re: Backwards Lyrics

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandwhite
You're just hearing what you want to hear. Somehow, you got it in your head that there is a meaning to this song being reversed, and clung on to anything that sounded remotely familiar. There may be something to playing this song in reverse, but you'd have to have an unbiased person hear it.
Yup. One of the main pratfalls of people interpreting Tool songs that I find is that sometimes people have a set of thoughts and ideas and think they can apply it to any song because they're already convinced that's what its about. This leads into some of the WAY off-base conclusions people are drawing about some songs here when I'm reading these interpretations. There is a point between analyzing construvtively and "over-analyzing".....they warned us about that in Lateralus, an album chock to the brim with symbolism and mysteries and such. With 10,000 Days there's a lot of trippy stuff for sure, but I don't think they want us to dissect it by tying it down and beating it with a stick. Danny's remark about this being their "blues" of sorts makes me think more that most of the stuff here is based around experience rather than some of the more abstract themes present on Lateralus. Both contain great, rich material to be interpreted, but overdoing it loses the value of the music itself. There must be a balance between being able to critically analyze the music as well as just sheer enjoyment. Tool are a rock/metal band first and foremost, but they give us other things to think about;) The key is to apply it to your own life and make an impact, that's what I think.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote