View Single Post
Old 06-08-2006, 02:15 PM   #14
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/06/07 - Berlin, GER - Arena Treptow--Hail Satan!

This was my 6th Tool show, but the first of the current tour. I knew what to expect, more or less. Before last night's show the last time I saw them was in Long Beach--the last show from the Lateralus era. I hate to say this but there was a huge difference in the band. That show was on another level--something unique, something uplifting in so many ways--physical, mental, emotional, spiritual, hell even sexual. If I remember correctly they messed up once during Third Eye and so ended up stretching it out, but it actually added to the tension, elevating the energy. Now I totally understand that it is near impossible to keeping performing on such a pinnacle all the time.

It was great to be able to see them after all this time. The show had its moments. Yes moments. Rosetta Stoned is a great song, especially for a concert--I didn't forget my pen--but it is not a good opener, its too long and too demanding, most the fans by me didnt get into it until near the end of the song, after the tiny pause and the crushing wave of sound. Stinkfist and 46&2 were crisp and pounded their way home just as they should. Loved Jambi, full of fury and beauty. Yes, they played Schism with that new intense breakdown--sorry, but its sounds out of place. Extended Stinkfist smooth, it totally fits and adds to the song. In schism, it seems like they cut the track in two and inserted some jam session they liked, just pasted it right in, but in my own humble opinion it doesnt fit the spirit of Schism. Right in Two: the visuals were intriguing and the intensity, the sadness and anger competing in waves of cacaphony and harmony. Trippy intro to Sober, and Sober was, well, Sober.

Here's what I heard(or thought I heard) with the 666 reference: "So apparently yesterday was Devil['s] Day. He didn't show [up]. ...Say hail Satan. On three.... one, two, three: "Hail Satan". I screamed it with a smile. But most people around me looked around and weren't sure what to think. Gotta love that humor. Then came Lateralis with, yes, Danny slipping up--starting just a wee bit early. Only human, I suppose. Though otherwise, he was a monster, relentless, driven... After the little chill out, we got teased with the first notes of "wings for marie" and there was some chanting for the song, hoping and praying, fingers crossed, we're special, they're gonna play it. Vicarious came and thrashed everyone. Out of all the new visuals, vicarious seems to have the most work put into it, watery, electric....nice contrasting backdrop to the song. Then came Aenema. Did anyone notice MJK slipped in "fuck" a few times? Learn to swim, learn to swim, learn to fuck.... and then... I'm fucking for rain, I'm praying for tidalwaves. I swear that's what I heard. Great closer. Thematically, is he trying to hint at something?

Now... something in paraflux's album review struck me at the show. The posture and attitude. I've seen maynard crossdress and seen him painted like some kind of an alien/reptilian/demon and it added to the whole, out-of-this-world atmosphere. The cowboy thing doesnt, and thats just it, Maynard didn't come across as inspiring and mind-blowing, honest and desperate, he seemed to stand up there, hand on the mic, looking down at us, dumbfounded dipshits, almost as if he was singing down to the crowd. Hey sure, Maynard is a cocky bastard, and sometimes his seeming arrogance is totally legit, but I couldnt shake the feeling that he was mocking us. I wanted to hear the Pot but I'm glad I didn't. I don't think he could've managed it, not because he technically couldn't hit the notes but because he didn't seem to have the heart. Now Danny and Justin seemed to just tear it up, playing their asses off. Adam was his typical self. But Maynard seemed to be more condescending then ever, as if there was no hope for us. Which brings me to a reoccuring question: is this just music, entertainment with a kind of spiritual/pyschological twist, or is this really about something else, something more than just entertainment???

Despite all that, I was happy to see them. Negative inspiration--still inspiring in a very human way, that hey they are human beings like the rest of us, bringing out what is capable, something we could aspire to. Like I've seen them with the mask slightly out of position, a degree of transparency. In any event, I look forward to seeing them again.

P.S. in reference to the 40 years comment someone said Maynard said... I believe it was "hopefully we'll see you before the end of the year" something toward that direction but definitely not in 40 years.
The sea's a thief, whose liquid surge resolves
The moon into salt tears."
OFFLINE |