View Single Post
aleph null
06-14-2006, 08:35 AM

Ok, the intro's high and yet Maynard hits the notes well and isn't out of tune (as far as my shitty sense of pitch goes). Excellent vibrato, too! But christ, the tone's ugly for that unaccompanied first verse - really whiny, kinda nasal. Why choose to sing something so difficult and exposed if you haven't got the chops for it? It's interesting in its wrong-ness, a bit like Perry Farrel or Brian Molko's voices are - not strictly musically good, but still saying something with their tone. But I do think that Maynard can sing in a straightforward good-sounding way (when at a lower pitch), so why then *choose* to sound bad/off? Weird.

[Would we expect anything other than weird, now, really?!]
Old 06-14-2006, 08:35 AM   #9
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
Re: Maynards best vocal performance?

Ok, the intro's high and yet Maynard hits the notes well and isn't out of tune (as far as my shitty sense of pitch goes). Excellent vibrato, too! But christ, the tone's ugly for that unaccompanied first verse - really whiny, kinda nasal. Why choose to sing something so difficult and exposed if you haven't got the chops for it? It's interesting in its wrong-ness, a bit like Perry Farrel or Brian Molko's voices are - not strictly musically good, but still saying something with their tone. But I do think that Maynard can sing in a straightforward good-sounding way (when at a lower pitch), so why then *choose* to sound bad/off? Weird.

[Would we expect anything other than weird, now, really?!]
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote